What Photoshop to buy... and WHERE?

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok guys. I've decided if I am going to take this whole photography thing seriously, I need to buckle down and buy Photoshop. I have a copy of Photoshop 6.0, but it doesn't have everything I need - namely the stamp/healing brush.

Anyone know WHICH version I should be getting? I mean, I just want to be able to use it for editing photos, maybe smoothing skin, etc... nothing CRAZY.

What is Photoshop essentials? What is CS3 and why the heck is it so expensive! LOL

Any advice on this would be great, and/or WHERE to purchase a copy would be nice

Well, there are many options and which you choose depends on your needs and budget. There's elements 6, PS CS3 and Lightroom. Photoshop CS3 is the most recent version and the full package while elements is a scaled down, more user friendly version of PS. I think the later version of elements can open RAW files w/ a plug in. A lot of folks like Light room as well, but again you'll need to see what works best for your needs. As far as cost, I believe you can use the upgrade version if you have an earlier version, but I'm not sure how far that goes back. Also if you are a student, I think you can get a significant rebate from buying an academic version at a school bookstore.

If you are a student I have used Provantage for my Adobe academic software before and there prices that way are good that way. if you are not a student then the Upgrade from Adobe would probable be your best bet. I have never up graded yet so I am sure some one else will chime in and let you know for sure.

CS3's advantages over CS2 are mainly in compositing, though it has added functionality for black and white conversions and a few other general adjustments.

Is CS3 the best of the best? Yes. Is it necessary? No. One need only look at all of the amazing stuff that was published before it was released.

My advice is to pick up a copy of CS2 from somewhere. It's well worth it. Your work has improved vastly over the past six months, and I honestly believe that you will require a tool like CS2 in order to keep pace with your other technical advancements. If you opt for a lesser program, I'm confident that you'll find it's holding you back. I know that it's expensive but it is a worthwhile investment that you will take every advantage of once you learn how to use it well. As I've said before, once you begin using PS' advanced functions in your normal workflow, it becomes completely indispensable.

Just two cents... (I'm not familiar with the differences between current/recent PS versions)

I went for years with an older version of Elements that came packaged with one of my cameras. Then I graduated to PS CS2 and have yet to find any need to go to CS3. My guess.... if you are doing light photo adjustments and touch up, Max is right and CS2 will be just fine.

Look for CS2 on ebay, a full retail version is about $219 buy it now price and free shipping . Thats a pretty good deal, I think the student price for CS3 is $300.

Well I couldn't tell where you were from by your profile or flikr but one thing you might consider if you have one in your neighborood is Compusa. Compusa is in the process of closing it's doors and are giving big discounts on their items. Last time I checked (and bought a game) their was 15% off of ll software while it is not much for a lower priced item it gets up there with something as expensive as CS3. I know the one near me did have CS3 but it is a little high for me so I passed on it.

You can often get a better deal on Photoshop if you are;
a) upgrading from another program
b) a student
c) if you have purchased a product that includes a 'coupon'.

I don't think you can buy the upgrade from version 6.0...but it may be cheaper to buy Elements 5 and then the upgrade for CS2 (or CS3 if that is allowable).

I bought a Wacom Tablet that came with $300 off of CS3.

I personally have CS (the original CS, not CS2), and have not upgraded it even though CS2 is much better and CS3 is Universal (I am a Mac person).

I don't use photoshop as a normal part of my workflow, so to me it is no big deal. I use it pretty much only for pixel editing, almost all of my PP work is done in Nikon's Capture NX and Lightroom.

Thanks for all the replies, and MAX thanks for the compliment.

So now I am after a copy of CS2...

I can get ahold of a student - but the school only sells cs3 and its super expensive.

We'll see what happens!

I found a legal copy of CS2 for $5 at a garage sale, upgraded to CS3 for $199.

It doesn't get any better than that.

I found a legal copy of CS2 for $5 at a garage sale, upgraded to CS3 for $199.

It doesn't get any better than that.
That sounds pretty good...but is it technically legal for someone to sell it to you in the first place? There is probably some small print that says 'Not for Resale'.

Just curious.

You can only upgrade to CS3 from Photoshop 7 or higher.

Actually Elements gives you all the options you mentioned - and then some. Elements 6 is the current version for PCs, but that won't be out for Macs until the end of March.

If you do go with Elements you'll just have to learn to navigate away from all the "automatic" this & that to get down to the real stuff like Levels, etc.

I'm still running CS and will upgrade to CS3 soon - mostly because I teach Photoshop to beginners and people are beginning to ask questions about it.

That sounds pretty good...but is it technically legal for someone to sell it to you in the first place? There is probably some small print that says 'Not for Resale'.

Just curious.

My uncle has had every version of the Adobe creative suite (the whole thing!) since ver 8.0 He said that on Adobe's website it says "By upgrading to a new package with a new serial, you have all rightful onership to your previous Adobe serial codes and legallity to transfer that ownership. He says because of that, he might legally be able to give me the whole CS2 suite as a graduation gift when I get my Macbook Pro in May. I know I got a bit off topic, but according to him, you can sell your Adobe programs and all rights to use them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back