What processing does this guy use?

Mostly by getting his lighting right. I don't see anything special in the "processing", but he/she clearly knows his way around a strobe.

Mostly by getting his lighting right. I don't see anything special in the "processing", but he/she clearly knows his way around a strobe.

Really? Many of them seem almost surreal to me, as if half-photo and half-painting for example this one: Alexander Vinogradov on Instagram: “Друзья, напоминаю, что на мой видеоурок по быстрой и естественной ретуши до конца месяца действует скидка 1500 рублей! Все мои фишки в…”

If that's all lighting, I have a long way to go. Thank you.

Clearly he does some work on skin, etc, but nothing excessive. He's using a good lens and a large modifier; it's very hard to say with these small Instagram images, but I'd guess maybe a 3x4, and placing it very close to the model. I'd guess in most cases the key light is just out of frame.

Buy a big softbox...36" x 48" or bigger... looking at several of his photos, it looks like he makes frequent use of a large scrim or panel,perhaps one as long as 72 inches.... when placed close to a subject a light source that is this big in relation to a single figure it creates a very soft shadow transition. This looks to me like 95% lighting and about 5% processing.

I would suggest that he is using lighting equipment of a type that you have never used before and which likely do not own or have access to.

Last edited:
20200328_124352.jpg

This is from a portrait of a girl who looks to be about 10 years old... this is an extreme crop but it shows what a panel which is also called a scrim, looks like. You can see a central hotspot, and at the periphery you can see a slight fall off in the light. the most well-made systems are called "Scrim Jim" and "California Sunbounce", but there are other lower-priced alternatives including made in China and do it yourself. This type of lighting is very adaptable, and you can vary the distance of the strobe to scrim to control the softness, and you can also add additional Fabrics to make the light softer. This is an old type of lighting which goes back to the 1940s, and which was resurrected in the 1980s, and has now fallen out of favor as inexpensive made in China Light modifiers have made it possible to get big modifiers at fairly low prices. if you like this soft type of lighting and want a quick look at what a truly large modifier does for portraiture you could buy a made-in-china 72 inchumbrella for around $65 and have at least a glimpse into what a big modifier does.

I love the way his photos are done. Any idea how he makes them look like that?
The first thing I noticed was that his key light was positioned fairly low relative to the model. This is not a bad thing, but most photographers tend to position the light a little higher. Not a big deal either way.

"Scrim lighting". A little bit more than a decade ago there was a guy who sold a book online about scrim lighting.Perhaps the most famous practitioner was a guy named Dean Collins. There are some of his educational videos available on YouTube. He designed a series of scrims called Lightform panels

Most reactions

New Topics

Back