What qualifies one as a photographer?

Yes your work has to "wow'" the masses. Experience is the key and something that can not be expressed on a forum.

Personally; claiming "photographer" is a serious deal. You have to produce amazing images on demand. If you can get someone to buy your cool sunset pic then more power to ya. I am hired because I have amazing light and a good eye. That is what makes me a photographer. Plus I am dear friends with all the art directors in town...

love & bass

When I did my first ever shoot I called myself a photographer. It comes down to your perception of yourself. You jump in to the role or gently stick your toe in the water and wait till your body adapts.

Go and listen to an interview about my diving in to photography and take from it what you wish..

http://www.eravedesigns.com/erave/podcasts/podcast1.xml

I consider myself the following, because Ive done them professionally enough to make enough money at them I had to claim it on my taxes.

Writer
Poet
Photography
Salesman
Lover

Ok the last one was a joke, but the others are serious. I also paint, but when people ask what I do, I response usually with Salesman/Photographer since those are what I do most prominently.

These are my requirements, I don't think there is anything wrong with a hobbyist calling himself a photographer. My wife isn't, she takes pictures to remember a certain moment, snapshots only.

I happen to think that anyone that takes pictures can call themselves a photographer.

That does not make them a professional photographer (one who does photography as a profession).

Nor does it make them a good or great photographer (one who takes, on average, good or great photographs).

I think that it's not a problem for amateurs like myself to call themselves photographers (although I've never called *myself* one).

I like this mentality. From one photographer to another. :)

When I did my first ever shoot I called myself a photographer. It comes down to your perception of yourself. You jump in to the role or gently stick your toe in the water and wait till your body adapts.

Go and listen to an interview about my diving in to photography and take from it what you wish..

http://www.eravedesigns.com/erave/podcasts/podcast1.xml
the link didn't work but I appreciate you response.

I was surprised ot read how many people didn't seem to care that people walk around flaunting the photographer title with no true exposure talent. I should probably just not let it bother me. thanks all of you,

just like if you drive a car your a driver, but if you get paid to drive
you are a pro driver..

you can shoot like a pro, you can be paid for a shoot, and you can just shoot for fun...

thats the difference..

I'm the next coming of christ. Hell, why not?

I am a photographer. My business card says so. Although I make my living at it, I see myself more as a vocationalist than as a "professional." Someday I would like to be an author (I'm working on that one).

However, one of my heros, Jethro Bodine, was at different times; a Playboy, Movie Producer, Actor, and amongst other things, my favorite, a double-naught spy.

Life is big. Do as you please.

I am a photographer. My business card says so. Although I make my living at it, I see myself more as a vocationalist than as a "professional." Someday I would like to be an author (I'm working on that one).

However, one of my heros, Jethro Bodine, was at different times; a Playboy, Movie Producer, Actor, and amongst other things, my favorite, a double-naught spy.

Life is big. Do as you please.

A fellow writer? Glad to meetcha. I usually don't use the word author, as I picture myself on the back of a dustjacket then, which hasn't happened... but I have been published as a writer.

It's amazing, I've worked for years at writing and a year at photography... and I've made about equal money over all... my shoot on Sunday should put Photographer over the edge as the winner in that category.

For me it is realitivly simple.

Photographer = Anyone that is smart enough to take the lens cap off, find and press the shutter release and get an image on film or in a digital medium. (Quality does not necessarly count)

Professional Photographer = See above and add "The ability to sell your photographs to someone."

Accomplished Photographer = That rare breed of individual that not only has the technical abilities to operate the equipment to it's fullest but has that sense of insight and composition and that inate ability to combine the two into not only a technically pleasing, but soul stiring image that grabs the viewer and touches them to their very being. This is a rare and treasured breed.

Wish I was even remotely close to the last one.

Wow. That last one? Pretty deep. :thumbup:
I agree with your definition of "photographer". A lot of my friends have their cute little cameraphones or whatever and then they say they're photographers. Sure, they are, but it's not what they call themselves that matters; it's the quality and artistic value that makes a photo exceptional.

I would say I consider my self some type of a photographer..I never say Im a pro...actually I always tell people that Im new to this world and Im learning things everyday....Like today I actually printed my first two prints...So excited....Cant wait to pic them up!!

It is your photographies that qualify you as a photographer -and perhaps together with a certain habit of taking them.

Otherwise, you just take photos occasionally, or very often (as, say, a means to keep memories, sell things, etc), or even earn a living from them (and not necessarily you're a photographer, although it certainly is the normal thing to happen that you're one, but you might work as a professional photographer without actually being a photographer!), etc. But you're not simply a photographer just because you make photos. Am I a singer because I sing in the shower? Am I a cook because I cook my meals? No, I am a cook when when someone tries my cooking says... you ARE a cook!

A fellow writer? Glad to meetcha. I usually don't use the word author, as I picture myself on the back of a dustjacket then, which hasn't happened... but I have been published as a writer.

It's amazing, I've worked for years at writing and a year at photography... and I've made about equal money over all... my shoot on Sunday should put Photographer over the edge as the winner in that category.

I had replaced 'writer' with 'author' when I thought about my time served as a tech writer back in the olden-days (before they invented cows to squirt milk into bottles- In fact, I wrote the original instructions on how to hold the cow properly).

I like telling campfire stories about renegade Indian serial killers in the late 1800s. Brutal, violent stuff. I like describing the circumstances that turned them into the monsters they became- makes the chicks cry and in the end scares the hell out of everyone. True stories embellished with B.S. Since I tend to ramble I've been writing. Might make some money off it, but don't care.

Glad to meetya back.

heres my oppinion. if you take pictures on a fairly regular basis your a photographer, now, that doesnt mean your good or your a professional.
i think we have to define photographer to get a better understanding

photographer: someone who takes photographs

hmmm well sounds strait forward, everyone here is infact a photographer on some level. but now you have to think about what types and kinds there are, theres 100's from the "im extreamly rich strike a pose baby" to the "smile grandpa". being a pro photographer is just a matter of being payed. sell a picture to a family memeber, congrats. but that doesnt make you pro, get in to a gallery and eat ramen for 3 months untill some nice man buys some prints then your on the verge of being a pro, as long as your making a living off what your doing your good enough to be labled a professional. oh and eating ramen is a big part of it. 15 cents a packet baby! woo

just my 2 cents on the subject :cheers:

I think carrying the label of photographer has more to do with the ability to pre-visualize the photo before you take it, and produce the image you had in mind.

The MySpace sad girl in the bathroom mirror with a flash bloom to the right of her head is not a photographer...those are exhibitionists.

Most reactions

Back