What settings for tomorrow?

Katchit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone.

I am going to be taking my FZ38 out with me to the horse stables in Newmarket tomorrow.

What settings would people advise?

I know the FZ38 isnt on par with DSLRs (been through that one already ) but i want to try and get the best pictures i can.

There may be an option of me going to the Heath to get some of the horses on the gallops too, but the main ones will be in the stable, in the yard, etc...

Any tips for a 'photography beginner', which program, which settings, aperture, etc...

Any advice would be welcomed.

I do not believe there is a particular setting that we can recommend. It depends on what you want to accomplish and the condition at the time of the photo being taken.

If you really not sure what to do at the time when you press the button, the auto mode maybe the best bet. Of course, when the horses are running, a sports mode maybe good especially outdoor during the day.

Sports mode I think would be the best mode - though considering the subjects you might also have to use no flash mode as well. Check your manual to see if you can enable something like sports mode with no flash instead of just pure no flash mode - since sports mode should (in theory) try to net you a faster shutter speed. I say this because some venues for horses can have limits/bans on the use of flash because it can run the risk of spooking the horse. Even though in modern times many horses will grow up being flashed by all manner of camera (little point and shoots almost from the moment of birth) it is still a risk and some venues don't like to take that risk.

Otherwise the only general tip is to get your shutter speed as fast as possible - if you want to shift into manual mode you'll want your aperture to let as might light in as possible - that means a wide aperture and thus a SMALL f number - the smaller the better.
From there you can also raise your ISO to higher values - you'll get more noise, but if you can get the shutter speed up to 1/500sec or faster you'll be in good standing.

I do not believe there is a particular setting that we can recommend. It depends on what you want to accomplish and the condition at the time of the photo being taken.

If you really not sure what to do at the time when you press the button, the auto mode maybe the best bet. Of course, when the horses are running, a sports mode maybe good especially outdoor during the day.

Thanks a lot, appreciate your reply.

Sports mode I think would be the best mode - though considering the subjects you might also have to use no flash mode as well. Check your manual to see if you can enable something like sports mode with no flash instead of just pure no flash mode - since sports mode should (in theory) try to net you a faster shutter speed. I say this because some venues for horses can have limits/bans on the use of flash because it can run the risk of spooking the horse. Even though in modern times many horses will grow up being flashed by all manner of camera (little point and shoots almost from the moment of birth) it is still a risk and some venues don't like to take that risk.

Otherwise the only general tip is to get your shutter speed as fast as possible - if you want to shift into manual mode you'll want your aperture to let as might light in as possible - that means a wide aperture and thus a SMALL f number - the smaller the better.
From there you can also raise your ISO to higher values - you'll get more noise, but if you can get the shutter speed up to 1/500sec or faster you'll be in good standing.

Thanks for your reply, very helpful, and thanks for explaining the latter part too, much appreciated!

No problem at all - though if I might add you'll want to experiment a little before you go - at the very least try out the higher ISOs your camera has and view them on the computer (make sure the exposures are proper and not dark/dim/underexposed as this will show up even more noise). This will give you a working idea of how well your camera performs and how high you idealy want to take the ISO before it starts to get too noisy.

Noise can be corrected of course whilst blurred motion can't, but on the same line sometimes if the ISO goes too high the noise destroys the image quality too far for some.

No problem at all - though if I might add you'll want to experiment a little before you go - at the very least try out the higher ISOs your camera has and view them on the computer (make sure the exposures are proper and not dark/dim/underexposed as this will show up even more noise). This will give you a working idea of how well your camera performs and how high you idealy want to take the ISO before it starts to get too noisy.

Noise can be corrected of course whilst blurred motion can't, but on the same line sometimes if the ISO goes too high the noise destroys the image quality too far for some.

Thanks again!

What do you recommend practicing on before i go?

Well for testing the ISO just go outside in decent light and take a photo of anything - for motion to try our the shutter speeds just find anything that is moving ( a running pet, child, person, etc...)

Well for testing the ISO just go outside in decent light and take a photo of anything - for motion to try our the shutter speeds just find anything that is moving ( a running pet, child, person, etc...)

Thanks.

You have been a great help.

If you want to shoot in the stable if its dark you don't have much chance, wait till they are outside, take a look at this guys shots for a little insperation
Tim Flach

Most reactions

New Topics

Back