What sheet film to get?

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The last shoot I did worked out but I feel like I need a faster speed film. I used Kodak Tmax 400 and was stuck shooting at about a 10th or so of a second. Since it’s 4x5, it seems I’m limited to a 400 speed film so what would be the “best” one to push a stop or two?

What are you trying to shoot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd just push TMax. Mass Dev chart has times for it developing in HC110. Or HP5+ in same developer. I've never pushed TMax but have HP5+ (135) in HC110 and it works fine in HC110 @800 or 1600. There are other developers out there that produce finer grain but I just use HC110 because of its simplicity and I like grain anyway.

Last edited:
What are you trying to shoot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indoor window light. This was a test to try out a bit of new metering technique I was taught, to see if the space was workable and a start to try to shoot like Jan Scholz. It was successful on some levels and I learned that I need to shape the light coming in better. Anyway this was with the tmax 400 and my lens has a max of f/6.3, so it was pretty slow shutter speeds.

When I push T-Max I use Kodak X-Tol developer. You can easily push to up 1600 with very little loss in shadow detail/contrast and diluted to 1:1 cuts down on grain.

I assume speed lights are out and you are after only natural light?

Whats wrong with using 1/10 of a second, I dont really see any motion blur in your stuff and the images look great. Is there something thats limiting you at 1/10th you need to overcome?

You could always alter your lens. For the price of two boxes of film you can grab an old speed graphic lens and work at F 4.7 they produce quite nice results.

I really like Delta 100 for 4x5 but I dont shoot a whole lot of portraits.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back