What should be in your bag?

I'm going to go with...

A camera.

Just a point, but after extensive testing I've come to determine that one (or more) of these:

5986168840_64a6d18ff8_z.jpg

should not be included in your camera bag

Wow! A lot more than what I expected to see for recommendations of what "should" be in every photographers bag.

Enough people replied, that I'll post my own list:

1 - camera body. If you're being paid to shoot... then you'll need to make that TWO camera bodies.
2 - standard zoom. I use a 24-70 f/2.8 (full-frame body)
3 - telephoto zoom. I use a 70-200 f/2.8 with image stabilization
4 - at least one fast prime lens (e.g. 50mm f/1.4, etc.)
5 - off-camera flash with a minimum guide number greater than 40 (140+ feet). I carry two of these.
6 - tripod... solid, and appropriately sized.
7 - CPL filter
8 - ND filter (3 stops if you only carry one... or you can carry more than one.)
9 - gray card
10 - incident light meter (one of those things you don't often need to pull out of the bag, but you should carry one for those times when it's the only way to get accurate metering for an important shot.)

I carry a lot more than this list, but to me this represents a basic list of things that anyone who is either pro or just fairly enthusiastic about their hobby should probably have. You can haggle over the camera body and lens choices, but a lot of the non-camera gear are things that, if you don't have them then I think you're under-equipped.

When compiling my list I realized it was almost identical to Tim's so I'll just quote his and I'll add 3 things to his list. 1) collapsible reflector 2) battery charger with car adapter 3)pen and small notebook

Distilled essence of Ansel Adams in powder form, for snorting when inspiration runs low. Some people may prefer pills, but then give yourself an extra 15 minutes before inspiration kicks in.

Just a point, but after extensive testing I've come to determine that one (or more) of these:

5986168840_64a6d18ff8_z.jpg

should not be included in your camera bag

I know videographers will keep a dead-cat (wind muff) in the bag to put on the shot-gun mic, but this is the first time I've heard of putting a live-cat in the bag. ;)

I'm guessing the live-cat probably wouldn't be too happy with you if you tried to attach it to your microphone.

Most reactions

Back