What should I be charging for my work/what do you charge?

When I started my business I didn't charge my clients that much because I know that I don't have names to make my work expensive and the positive note of it is they like my work and they posted it on social media and with the word of mouth I gain few more customers because they see that my work is nice and with a low price. Hope at some point I contribute on this post.. thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
In short: based on my opinion of your skill, you're under charging for family portraits and weddings (this is based on time spent to do this). However, I feel that if you were to charge more, you need to work on your technical skills. Is it safe to assume this is still a side gig and not your primary source of income? If this is, then look at Light Guru's link and listen to KmH.

How many finished images do you give for portraits?

I charge a handshake and a cup of coffee. If they insist, then a gift card to Amazon will work. I'm of the mindset that I won't charge unless I can produce professional level work every time and that I would register as a business and do things legally. With that said, I approach every session as a professional. I have contracts, research locations, limit the amount of prints, etc. Just because they're getting my service for the cost of a Venti Caramel Machiatto doesn't mean I can't act professional or they can roll over me.

Last edited:
In short: based on my opinion of your skill, you're under charging for family portraits and weddings (this is based on time spent to do this). However, I feel that if you were to charge more, you need to work on your technical skills. Is it safe to assume this is still a side gig and not your primary source of income? If this is, then look at Light Guru's link and listen to KmH.

I charge a handshake and a cup of coffee. If they insist, then a gift card to Amazon will work. I'm of the mindset that I won't charge unless I can produce professional level work every time and that I would register as a business and do things legally. With that said, I approach every session as a professional. I have contracts, research locations, limit the amount of prints, etc. Just because they're getting my service for the cost of a Venti Caramel Machiatto doesn't mean I can't act professional or they can roll over me.

It isn't my primary gig, no.

But do you WANT it to be?

It's not my primary gig either, but I want it to be, so I charge as though it is... because then I don't have to up my prices all the friggin' time. I just need to get to the point where I have enough steady clients to quit my day job. :sexywink:

E.rose has done her homework! and I think that's what it takes. It seems like your pricing could be adjusted and then the quality of the work would need to be good enough on a consistent basis for people to want your photos at an increased price. I took a quick look but with some of them I'd think about the framing, so it's not too tight or doesn't have too much space; notice the background and make sure there are no distractions like the edge of a branch/leaves etc.; make sure everything in the frame is what you want in your photo and where you want it (adjust the vantage point as needed). You could look up business resources on websites for photographers' organizations like ASMP and PPA; sometimes ASMP does webinars too.

It's not my primary gig either, but I want it to be, so I charge as though it is... because then I don't have to up my prices all the friggin' time. I just need to get to the point where I have enough steady clients to quit my day job. :sexywink:

That makes a lot of sense. I do want it to be my primary gig at some point.. It'd be a really nice life :)

It'd be a really nice life :)

You SAY that.............

:lol:

Freelancing is not easy by any means. Would it be nice to work for yourself? Sure. But there's a whole slew of other sh*t that goes along with it, that you don't have to deal with now as a non-freelancer. :lol:

That's not to say it's not something to shoot for. I am. :biggrin:

I don't have any set rates anymore, I did a decade ago, but have now gone to negotiating with each client on an individual basis. I work out a rate that we can both be happy with. With so many "professionals" pouring into the business all the time, and potential clients looking around more than they used to, being flexible helps generate more work.

Not everyone will agree with this approach, but I do what works for me and base it on my skills and experience with a camera.

That makes a lot of sense. I do want it to be my primary gig at some point.. It'd be a really nice life :)

Once it becomes a full time job, it's not always nice, or fun.

Most reactions

Back