What should I buy next?

rbicker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my first post on here! I am a relatively new photographer that wants to get some opinions about adding a flash to my gear!

This is the flash I am looking at adding...
Amazon.com: Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Is this the next logical step for me? I added a basic 50mm prime lens to my gear a little while back and the flash is what I was thinking of adding next. What benefit if any will I see in my pictures and do you think with the gear I already have that this is the point I should add the flash? Is there something else I should add first?

Here is what I currently have as far as gear goes:
Nikon D5100 Body
Nikkor 18-55mm (Standard Kit Lens)
Nikkor 55-300mm (Standard Kit Lens)
Nikkor 50mm Prime Lens
BlackRapid Shoulder Sling
A few Misc filters
Spare Battery

Thanks for any help you all can give me!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Personally I think EVERYONE needs OEM flashes.. they are built like a rock, and perform (and outperform the chinese made stuff, consistently)

Just because someone is a "complete noob" doesn't mean they shouldn't buy the best equipment they can afford, it is an investment that will pay off in the long run. Personally I admire the "noob" for wanting the best.. and being willing to learn how to use flash in the first place.

But then I consider anyone who hasn't been shooting since 1966 to be a "NOOB" of some sort or another! I am sure I am a "Noob" to some people....

Well, shoot! I'll go with the flash.

Yes, you will see a huge difference in using flash as opposed to not owning one.

Now, you will still have to know when and how to use it, but for a beginner, that speedlight will function in the "CLS" mode, which is Nikon's proprietary iTTL mode. Meaning; the photos will be exposed to a fairly good level of exposure without a lot of diddling on your part.

I will recommend that you strive to modify the flash in some fashion, such as bouncing it, or getting it away from the camera some distance. Read up on how to get it off your camera, or what bouncing does, and go for the SB-700 or even the SB-910 if you can swing it.

Not sure what the comment about "non-standard batteries" was meant to be about--the Nikon SB 700 uses four standard 1.5-volt AA batteries, or four 1.2-volt rechargeable batteries, according to the Nikon instruction manual on the Nikon USA web site (page B-8, at http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/Speedlights/SB-700.pdf)

Yeah, an SB 700 would be a really nice addition to your kit. Flawless integration with Nikon cameras, FULL, 100% Nikon compatibility, and probably a 30-year expected life duty cycle, if my 1980's Nikon speedlights are any indication. I would say yes, get a flash unit before buying a tripod; the flash has many uses.

RBicker! Congratulations.. you sound like you have caught the bug badly! lol!

A flash would be an excellent choice for you... it will allow to you get good images when you otherwise would not be able to. Plus learning to control "light" is what photography is all about!

Whether or not something else might be better for you?? Only you can tell that... we don't know what or how you shoot! But me.. I think a flash is a great idea...

Another vote that a flash should be the next logical addition to your kit. Since the two zooms you have are not amenable to low light situations, they will benefit the most. Lens lust can be delayed.

Not sure what the comment about "non-standard batteries" was meant to be about--the Nikon SB 700 uses four standard 1.5-volt AA batteries, or four 1.2-volt rechargeable batteries, according to the Nikon instruction manual on the Nikon USA web site (page B-8, at http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/Speedlights/SB-700.pdf)

Yeah, an SB 700 would be a really nice addition to your kit. Flawless integration with Nikon cameras, FULL, 100% Nikon compatibility, and probably a 30-year expected life duty cycle, if my 1980's Nikon speedlights are any indication. I would say yes, get a flash unit before buying a tripod; the flash has many uses.

The non-standard comment came from the link he gave.

Assuming you've given proper attention to learning and refining your skills (which is the #1 thing that will impact your images), lighting is actually #2 on the list (ahead of lenses and camera bodies.)

I think everyone should own a shoe-mounted or off-camera flash (I own several of them.) Learn to "bounce", "feather", and use the flash for "fill" lighting. I use the flash outdoors in the sun rather frequently (and always if I'm shooting a portrait.)

Thanks everyone! Great advice! If you have more keep it coming!

Yes, I also believe that in anything it usually pays to get the best you can afford. I just wanted to make sure it applied here! Thanks for the tips and information!

I can't wait to continue to learn!

Most reactions

Back