what should i do. new camera body d700 or d800.

Read Rockwell latest blurb on the D800. He is not typically a Canon fan boy and yes he is often all over the map. The points he brings up yet again are points that I too find myself not liking about the D800.

I'm on the fence with both. D700 used are way, way overpriced and new, when you can get one, are too close to the D800 price.

Rockwell is an opinionated amateur who is really good at marketing his website. If you really pay attention to him.. you will probably regret it someday! If you think those bodies are overpriced.. don't buy 'em! lol!

I got my D700 in Feb 2009. It still rocks.

If I were in the market now for a FF, I would still give the D700 a serious look if a deal could be had, but the technology is older.

I have a D800. My longest lens is the 28-300. I find that with the extra pixels you can crop and enlarge - so the 300mm looks great. Go to a camera store take a memory card- take a couple of shots of a far away object - take them home and crop -look for yourself. Also an ideal cheaper combo is the 70-200 or 80-200 with 1.7 or 2xtender--but you do need a good lens for this when using an extender. you may have to go to sigma for extender - but I would try it first as I dont think a large extender from them would give you acceptable results--try before you buy

good luck:wink:

for the D7000 comment producing the same image as a D3/D700; assuming im not leaving a camera's comfort zone a D60 can produce the exact same image a D7000 does and no one would be the wiser (resolution aside) if taken well. you need to look at the requirements you need - if its resolution or video go for the D800 otherwise if you can get a good deal a D700 would be just as good of an option (oldness aside). just check your priorities and just how many FX lenses you have presently to make it a worthwhile jump. however do note if you use the 18-200mm on the D800 you'll still have 17MP to play with (if im not mistaken) in DX mode; so you wouldnt have to move your glass straight away.

FX has its advantages that goes beyond sport or fps (which many would argue that DX has an advantage cause of the added 'reach' with equally good fps D300s+Grip was no slouch).

Last edited:
I have a D800. My longest lens is the 28-300. I find that with the extra pixels you can crop and enlarge - so the 300mm looks great. Go to a camera store take a memory card- take a couple of shots of a far away object - take them home and crop -look for yourself. Also an ideal cheaper combo is the 70-200 or 80-200 with 1.7 or 2xtender--but you do need a good lens for this when using an extender. you may have to go to sigma for extender - but I would try it first as I dont think a large extender from them would give you acceptable results--try before you buy

good luck:wink:

I have the 28-300 and a D800! If you think that lens does well on it (and it does!), you should try pro glass like the 70-200 2.8 VRII... then you will REALLY see what the D800 is capable of! :) It rocks.. REALLY!

NEW D700's are STILL available for $2199. Just not at The Big Five mega-camera dealers in the USA. Look around to smaller dealers outside of New York City!!! But HONESTLY, why would ANYBODY buy a D700 now that D3 bodies are hitting the $1900 price point,used? Better body, better viewfinder, better sealing, better features, voice annotation with 1-button record, a true PROFESSIONAL Nikon...seriously, the original D3 and the D700 share the same sensor....if you want the FPS, you need to grip the D700, and then you have a camera ALMOST as big and almost as heavy as a D3 or D3s, but still inferior...

To each his own though...I know this thread is a bit stale, buuuuut.....for people thinking of getting a new Nikon, now might be a great time to WAIT a few more weeks to see what the D400 and or D600 are all about...I am NOT convinced that the D800 is the "replacement" for the D700. And Nikon Corporation, Japan, has publicly stated that the D7000 (D-seven THOUSAND, the 1.5 x APS-C model) is NOT THE D90's replacement model...some Nikon experts speculate that the high-end enthusiast segment will be migrated UPWARD, to FX, with the D90's replacement being....the D600, FF body. Nikon makes money on people who are upgraders; new buyers, first-time d-slr buyers, are getting scarce. Would I rather pay $1599 to $1800 for a brand-new D600 full-frame, or $2199 to $2400 for an old-tech D700 12 MP body???

I have both D700 and D800. Both great cameras, I don't really think you would regrete either. I am increasingly noticing the D800 captures the atmosphere of the place I took the picture, and you can crop without worry about loss. The more I use it, the more it is my choice. For me, if I had to choose, my personality would require the D800... Because I would be thinking I was missing something... I always end up with the top of line... Look at other purchases... Are you really happy with the mid-priced X that you bought? It was a great deal, and was good enough? Then go for the D700. If you are like me, go for the D800. I have two Takahashi telescopes, 4 custom bicycles and a Lexus... What can I say? I've been like that with toys since a teenager, my audio amplifie d weighs 125 lbs. JDS

I was in the same situation and I ended getting a D700. I keep the 7000 in case I need to shoot video, but I'm a professional video editor. I don't shoot video, I work with it! That's why I didn't go for the D800. That and the 36mp. Anyway, go for the D700. You always can buy another body if you are not happy with it, right?

Most reactions

Back