What should I learn now?

ChickenFriedRyce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now that I have my DSLR, and some practice with it, what should I focus on learning now? I'll admit, I've kind of been caught up in the lenses and accessories and I'm not focusing on learning about my camera. I know the interface, the ins and outs, but I don't know what to do now. I know about ISO speeds, shutter speeds, apertures, focal lengths, all that kind of stuff but it feels a lot like I'm missing a lot.

I do like portraits and macro shots. I'm alright at editing. Should I get an internship somewhere? I can't get a job I know. But I don't deserve one really. Should I take classes?

I've been told by quite a few people that I should stop worrying about cashing into lenses and focus on my camera, but I don't know what else there is to know. I've learned my lesson and before I screw up, I want to learn more before I make another mistake.

I don't know what I'm capable of.

Well the next step now is pretty simple, take pictures!

Your not gonna get any better without practice!

Pictures. Sounds Good. If I had the friends to help. I'll see take my opportunities as they come. I'm hanging out with someone on Friday. I'll do my best to snap as many (that are decent) as I can. I guess this step is Trial and Error?

Yes, lots of trial and error. Some of the best photogs (definetly not all) here have very low post counts but post some of the best shots here.

So just go shoot, maybe go for a walk and see what you come upon, or go to baseball game and try out some sports shots.

Set yourself specific goals. Imagine/visualize/conceptualize one clear and very particular image in your mind's eye that you would love to be able to create. An image that's been lingering in the back of your mind for some time already.
And then set out to actually do it!
You will learn incredibly much in the process.

Have fun!

If you wanna get better at portraits, just use your friends every now and then as your photographic guinea pigs, possibly with some post processing.

Only way to get better and learn the ins and outs of your camera.

Alot of times I'll just go for a walk (as previously stated) with my camera and shoot anything that catches my eye. If you can't shoot portraits like you'd like to, just shoot anything.

Yes, lots of trial and error. Some of the best photogs (definetly not all) here have very low post counts but post some of the best shots here.

So just go shoot, maybe go for a walk and see what you come upon, or go to baseball game and try out some sports shots.

Funny that you mention it.... because I HATE this shot.
2421323791_ffb9ac6180.jpg

The fence and brick concession stand annoy me so badly.

Alfred, that's some great advice. Sometimes though, it's kind of difficult to have your imagination come to life... if you're life is nothing but art. I have so many ideas and plans, but I guess I had no time. I only have an hour and a half left of the school year and then... the summertime. I WILL accomplish much more with this abundance of time.

someguy5, I have no friends in this neighborhood so it's hard. And I believe I'm the only child in the neighborhood also. All my friends from school live on the opposite side of town where my school actually is. But next year, I'm going to public school! So I should have many more opportune to have myself quite a few "guinea pigs". haha

Another thing is to always have your gear with you, in a high state of readiness, ready to shoot, wherever you go. The best specced gear in the world is worth sh.. when it's sitting in a dark closet at home...

If the ladies can schlepp handbags around, then I can a small camera bag or backpack.

I even have a P&S cam in my car's dashboard cubby hole. For just in case.

After all, photography is about catching the moment. So you better be prepared when it happens.

Actually, I don't leave anywhere without it. It's always in a laptop bag. At least the camera and kit lens and a magazine or two.

Here's a tip when taking a pic of something you haven't tried before... take extra shots. :) Do multiple exposures, different aperatures, flash, no-flash, etc.

1. It will give you a greater chance of getting the "right" shot.
2. You can learn more about the effects of different settings.

I still do this when I'm in a newish situation... like today I did the first hotel interior in my photog career... most of my interior shots tend to be office buildings, so I took a ton of extras.

Seems silly initially, but when you think about it... hotels will have different lighting, different building materials (like dark woods and brass and such), etc.

Plus it's not like you're wasting film. Yay digital. :)

Another thing is to always have your gear with you, in a high state of readiness, ready to shoot, wherever you go. The best specced gear in the world is worth sh.. when it's sitting in a dark closet at home...

If the ladies can schlepp handbags around, then I can a small camera bag or backpack.

I even have a P&S cam in my car's dashboard cubby hole. For just in case.

After all, photography is about catching the moment. So you better be prepared when it happens.
You made me laugh!!!
I have my tripod, mono pod, and camera bag in the back seat and riding shotgun daily is my 10D with the Canon 70-200L on it and My 40D with the Canon 100-400L on it.

You never know when that great shot is going to be there :D:D:D.

You made me laugh!!!
I have my tripod, mono pod, and camera bag in the back seat and riding shotgun daily is my 10D with the Canon 70-200L on it and My 40D with the Canon 100-400L on it.

You never know when that great shot is going to be there :D:D:D.

This is how I roll except with the N75 (come on Pentax, you know you want to fix my camera and send it back today. . . ).

And yes, "it's not like you're wasting film" is something I am now learning the hard way. After 5500+ digital shots in the last year, I am realizing how expensive film can be.

Use your camera in manual mode-no auto anything; you'll learn a great deal more about photography than just blazing away and hoping for the best.

Most reactions

Back