Photos OK to edit
I just purchased my first DSLR and some accessories. This is what I got:

Canon EOS Rebel 600D/t3i

18-55mm kit lens + UV filter

50mm 1.4 lens + UV filter

camera case

2 - 8gb ultra SD cards

extra battery

I got this camera to take photos of my daughter, family events, vacations, zoos, wildlife, and maybe down the line, some more serious portrait photography.

I'm torn between getting a external flash or another lens. I know I definitely want one for distance -- we love going to the zoo and photographing all of the animals but I'm not sure If I should get one that serves that purpose as well as being a good walk-around length -- 18-200mm vs. 55 - 250mm.

What do you recommend/what should my priority be? Am I missing anything else?

Decent flash first for Daughter, family pics, then go and grab a lens for your wild life shots. IMHO

Last edited:
100% off camera Flash

You need fill flash even outside sometimes

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I almost always used strobed light (flash and reflected light) outside when doing portraiture on location. Inside I used flash as my main light, and window light for accent light. Inside I usually used several strobe lights, reflectors, scrims, flags, and other light modifying devices.

Strobed light is a natural as any other light.

3bayjunkie said:
I have never had to use a flash. I prefer to shoot natural light, so i would suggest the lens. If you need light for portraits go outside or near a window.

And if it's dark....or The inside of the building is dark...natural light is a severe hindrance after about the first 6 months of learning photography...

3bayjunkie said:
I have never had to use a flash. I prefer to shoot natural light, so i would suggest the lens. If you need light for portraits go outside or near a window.

And if it's dark....or The inside of the building is dark...natural light is a severe hindrance after about the first 6 months of learning photography...

Even in broad daylight it's a hindrance... which is why they make reflectors and disc diffusers. :)

Most reactions

Back