What should my next lens be?

well don't get all carried away... of all the wide lenses suggested in this thread the Sigma has the worst reputation for sample variation.... some googling will show that.... however if you get a good copy(or have the patience to get a good copy) it's one of the best there is..
This is the first time I've heard anything about quality issues. Could you link to a source? All of the reviews I've read have given it a good-to-great score and there's no mention of sample variance:

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/lenses/35mm-zoom/sigma/PRD_335764_3128crx.aspx
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Sigma-10-20mm-f4-56-EX-DC
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=298
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Nikkor%20/%20Nikon%20Lens%20Tests/46-nikon--nikkor-aps-c/308-sigma-af-10-20mm-f4-56-dc-ex-hsm-lab-test-report--review
http://www.momentcorp.com/review/sig10-20.html

sure...

google

"sigma 10-20 bad copy" and see 17,500 results

google

"tokina 12-24 bad copy" and see 1360 results

google

"tokina 11-16 bad copy" and see 653 results

google

"tamron 11-18 bady copy" and see 853 results

it's not scientific by any means, but you see where i'm going. you must then start going through them to identify who knows what they are talking about and take a lot of them with a grain salt.

I'm surprised that Sigmas sample variation issue is new to you Drew, it's pretty well documented up and down their line and not just with the 10-20.

Realistically, I wonder how many of ALL those results are really real issues and how many are users that do not know their lenses from holes in the ground?

I also have the 10-20mm ,and it is simply stunning for what it cost me and the results I get (click on pic for bigger size):

Anyways, that is neither here nor there... but I will say this; About 2-5 years ago Sigma did have tremendous QC issues but in the last 2 years they've really cleaned up... so much so that some of their $500 lenses are wiping the floor with not just Tokina lenses, but $1500 Nikkor gold ring glass! I am not saying they can do the same with all their product line, but if you choose wisely, do your homework and you will get a good lens.

I 'm not interested in lens wars or camera wars, but I will say that that silly millimeter difference between the 10-20 and the 11-16 can make a difference on a crop-sensor camera.

sure...

google

google

google

google

it's not scientific by any means, but you see where i'm going. you must then start going through them to identify who knows what they are talking about and take a lot of them with a grain salt.

I'm surprised that Sigmas sample variation issue is new to you Drew, it's pretty well documented up and down their line and not just with the 10-20.
Of course its not scientific, but you shouldnt even post that. For the simple reason you said "sigma" instead of "tokina" you will get way more hits.

Of course its not scientific, but you shouldnt even post that. For the simple reason you said "sigma" instead of "tokina" you will get way more hits.

google

"sigma" and see 74,800,000 results

google

"tokina" and see 6,260,000 results

Yeah, I guess all this slightly proves is that Simga is a hellova lot more popular than Tokina. One would expect to have a larger quantity of bad copies of a lens if Sigma made and sold more lenses.

I also have the 10-20mm ,and it is simply stunning for what it cost me and the results I get (click on pic for bigger size):

Anyways, that is neither here nor there... but I will say this; About 2-5 years ago Sigma did have tremendous QC issues but in the last 2 years they've really cleaned up... so much so that some of their $500 lenses are wiping the floor with not just Tokina lenses, but $1500 Nikkor gold ring glass! I am not saying they can do the same with all their product line, but if you choose wisely, do your homework and you will get a good lens.
that IS a stunning picture....is the metadata available?

that IS a stunning picture....is the metadata available?

EXIF? Yes, right HERE. Thanks for the kudos. :D

I used the 10-20mm again today on my D700 for the first time in a concerted effort to see what it would do. I'll post pics later and in the thread dedicated to my D700.

thanks! :thumbup:

sure...

google

google

google

google

My googling gave me lower net results, but a similar patern.
Sigma was around 7000 results.
Tokina was around 1300

I googled the following:

canon 10-22 bad copy
11800 results

So that would make the canon the worse of them all.
So I looked at the first link to see where the words were in the text. Here is the text:

>>You also have to find a bad copy of this lens. Very, very rare. So, I would even venture to get a used one. <<

;)

Most reactions

Back