What size filter should I get?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am shopping for a polarizing filter for my Nikon D40 with kit lens (18-55mm). How do I know what size filter to get? I am seeing 46mm filters, 28mm filter, 55mm filters, etc. Which should I get that would fit my lens?

on your lens it will give you a size, if your still not sure, look inside your lens cap and there will be a number that will tell you the size also :)

if you have several lenses with different filter thread diameters. get a filter for the largest and buy step down/up rings for the other lenses.

Depending on how seriously you'll be taking this, 77 and a step up ring.

The correct size for the 18-55 kit lens is 52mm. However, at the very wide end of the lens, it might produce some vignetting, so you might want to think about a larger sized filter and a step-up ring. Of course, larger filters cost more, but most higher-end lenses have a 67-77mm filter thread.

I would personally recommend a cheap-ish 52mm filter, and save up for a more expensive filter to go with your new lens (if that's what you want, mind).

The correct size for the 18-55 kit lens is 52mm. However, at the very wide end of the lens, it might produce some vignetting, so you might want to think about a larger sized filter and a step-up ring.

Or a 'slimline' (low profile) filter.

Most reactions

Back