What SLR camera to buy?

atseeyob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, it is about time to start fulfilling my passion: A passion for photography. I am about to take few photography classes from http://www.theshowcaseschool.com/site/ and the school requires to bring Digital SLR camera on the first day of class. Now I need to know which one is good, not only to take good picture but also to help me learn photographing. I was so happy to see this forum and I am sure I will get good help. Any advice is welcomed. By the way my budget is up to $1200.00, but can spend some more money in the near future for accessories such as lenses. Thanks in advance.

Go to a camera store, pick up a Canon, a Nikon, a Sony and an Olympus, and see which feels best in your hand. Don't listen to the sales guy, chances are that if it's a SUPERstore that he's not that knowledgable, and that there's a sales-incentive program in place.

All SLRs come with a sensible but underwhelming lens. Spend money on good lenses, the camera body should last at least five years, but after three you'll (willingly) succumb to the marketing pressure and get something new - which will be surprisingly improved over whatever you have at that point.

Canon and Nikon are the Honda and Toyota of the camera industry. They have something in every price and quality level, from Entry to Pro. Both have a wide array of lenses. Sony is the quasi-new kid on the block, in the sense that they just bought the merged Konica-Minolta and will now be the 800lb gorilla with high-quality products. Think of them as Nissan. There's lots of great lenses from the KM days, and their new bodies and lenses are ground-up-new-technology. Olympus (the Mazda in my quickly-dying metaphor) is the leader of another system jointly created by "the other" companies (4/3rds System), including great outfits like the super-rich Panasonic (Volkswagen) and the mega-high quality Leica (Porsche). Not that many lenses so far, but the ones they've got are absolutely fabulous.

The current market presents you with an embarrassment of riches. It's a GREAT time to be buying a digital SLR.

I would recommend a Nikon D80 or Canon Rebel XTi. Both can easily be purchased in kit form with a good starter lens. Use both and decide which you like best.

Another recommendation would be buying either of the cameras I mentioned with a good prime (fixed focal length) lens to start (such as the D80 + 50/1.8) Going this route you will likely improve your skills faster, and have a lens you can keep forever for about $100.

Finally, people will get on here and tell you that you MUST buy Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc... Don't listen to them. They are all great cameras. Go with what you like, understanding that narrowing your choices to Canon and Nikon will give you the greatest choices of lenses and accessories down the road.

Edit: Cliffs Notes...What Iron said.

Keith

I agree with what was said except about the prime lense. For 2 reasons, one is in a photography class there will probably be a wide variety of things that you have to photograph, and because you are just beginning in photography you dont neseccarily know what you will want to take pictures of. Instead of a prime maybe go with a mini zoom, like a good 17-55 or something similar.

well I suggest canon, but only because I've seen a lot more quality lenses for them...and people seem to agree on that fact a lot of the time.

Also, my Rebel XT is very easy to use, and takes great pictures. I'm sure the XTi or the 20D or somethign would be great.

Get the kit lens, and a 50mm 1.8. You'll have a cheap zoom for class, as well as a 50 to experiment with. The 50 is my favourite lens (canon) so far that I've used...so for 100 bucks it's not too shabby.

i would suggest the nikon d80 with its kit lense which is 18-135 i think. its a very great camera and a versitile lense

well I suggest canon, but only because I've seen a lot more quality lenses for them...and people seem to agree on that fact a lot of the time.

Unless you have spent A LOT of time using the lenses of both companies then you should really not speak to this point. The only advantage Canon has in the lens department is the fact that they are currently producing more prime lenses. Other than that both companies make great lenses. Short of the L series lenses I think that you would find more would give the nod to Nikon for glass, but it is really a push.

As for what photogincollege said, I can see the limitation for a prime in that example. My next recommendation would be the Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 EX DG. Not the greatest lens ever made, but it is fast, takes great pics (if a little soft) and is CHEAP for what you get. Also, any of the nikon kit lenses will get the job done for a beginner.

Keith

Nobody mentionned Pentax, so I will for good measure:sexywink:. Pentax also offer dSLRs and I think they are good value and they are offering more and more interesting lenses. Their new line of SDM lenses (such as the smc 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) DA SDM) looks good.

Short of the L series lenses I think that you would find more would give the nod to Nikon for glass

OK guys, put on your armour, we'll give you some padded sticks and you can sort this out :lmao:

Seriously though, no one makes better glass overall. Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Konica-Minolta and Zeiss (for Sony) have all been making optics for many, many years. Whatever system you go with, you will get top quality lenses and some average lenses. Some systems have more of different types, some have more overall, some have cheaper high-end ones, some have cheaper mid-range ones... most of that applies to bodies too... but if any system was inherently miles better, for all photographers, then the rest wouldn't still be in business.

In short, which one is good? All of them.

Most reactions

Back