What software best for size editing?

tonyma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I have an image of 300dpi about 30" in size.

I want to reduce the size by about 5-6" for one image and to about 9" in size for another.

I have macromedia fireworks and abobe photoshop but wondering what software you lot would recommend for reducing size and still maintaining the superior quality of the image to a fantastic quality print?

Thanks

Photoshop
yeah, if you've already got PS, that's your answer. It's the industry standard.

You'd think so but it lacks a basic resize algorithm based on windowed-sinc functions, and costs the earth, which while it is an industry standard would probably be the single least cost effective solution in the entire world for simple resizing.

Compared to GIMP which has a Lanczos resize and is a whole $0 available from GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program. And even that while very cost effective is overkill for resizing.

Like mentioned above, Photoshop, this is the best tool ever for picture editing, I tried other ones before, but none of them was as good as this one

Apologies for attempting to hijack thread. But lets say i convert Raw to tiff do some standard processing and then save in highest quality to jpeg. I then want to print this file in various sizes as above. Do i need to personally resize before i take to print shop or is it just as relevant to bring to printer and instruct on sizes?

Thanks
T

Depends on the print shop. Lots of pro labs will say give us a file with the following settings, and PPI will often be a quoted number.
In this case the resizing should be done by you. Most normal labs however will just ask for the file and the print dimensions you want.

Hi,

I have an image of 300dpi about 30" in size....

I have macromedia fireworks and abobe photoshop but wondering what software you lot would recommend for reducing size and still maintaining the superior quality of the image to a fantastic quality print?

Thanks

A 300ppi image that is 30" on one dimension would have 9000 pixels along that dimension. You'll find that Fireworks is a poor choice for any editing of images that large. Its an excellent tool for web sized images, but not good for large images.

Photoshop is an excellent tool for resizing. While some tools can beat it with some images, none will always beat it, whether upsizing or downsizing. When downsizing, PS's "bicubic-sharper" is usually the best choice, but its not a bad idea to try the plain "bicubic" also to see which works best on your particular image. Keep in mind that it is totally impossible to downsize and image and retain all of the image quality.

While some tools can beat it with some images, none will always beat it, whether upsizing or downsizing.

Again a strange comment to make. If Photoshop supports billinear and bicubic methods, and GIMP supports billinear and bicubic methods as well as several others I would say that statement is entirely unqualified.

Photoshop is the most expensive editing program and provides only two algorithms to resample, making it probably one of the worst programs in this department. These algorithms being acceptable for any image you throw at it doesn't change this fact.

This entire thread is full of the usual "we all use photoshop, therefore photoshop must be the best for every possible situation no matter how basic" recommendations.

I've had great results with Photozoom Pro.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back