What sould i buy??? Please help

charla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
:wink:
Hi
I want to take professional landscape pics and would be greatful if anyone could tell me the best camera for the job. Do i need a wide lense for landscape? If so, what's the best?
Thanks
Charla

What is your background? Starting out in photography or do you have experience. What is your budget? Tell us what you think makes a "professional" landscape pics. Are you intersted in filim or digital? Color or B&W?

You can make great landscape photographs now-a-days with even digital point and shoot cameras.

I have a point & shoot fuji finepix 2400. It doesn't seem to get a wide enough view.I'm starting out in photography. I have a good vision, but lack any technical knowledge.National Geographic photography really inspires me.I'm interested in digital & colour, to start with.I wouldn't want to spend more than £1000 sterling. I travel a lot & love walking in mountain ranges. Colour would be very important to my photography as i love dramatic sunrises/sets, lush green valleys etc...

It does not matter what camera you get. Since you are mentioning mountain ranges I think the weight and size can be a concern.

For landscapes with film I would recommend a Bessa rangefinder with a 15mm heliar... maybe a 21mm.

Alternatively you can get a medium format camera...

If digital - the bodies from canon and nikon are good. I do not like the canon wide angle lenses, so that would be a problem.

Tokina makes a 12-24 zoom that works quite well on a D50. It's $500.00 +/- US so that's what 250.00 +/- pound sterling? Pardon my quasi accurate colonial conversion. Enjoy.

LWW

Take a look at the Nikon D50 and a wide angle lens. The D50 is a great camera. Also go and purchase the newest copy of "Outdoor Photography" a UK magazine. I believe I'm correct in saying that they are doing a review of the D50 this month and they usually test their gear for outdoor use in mind, so that should definatly be a good read for you.

As soon as you include the word 'professional', as in 'professional landscape pics', your question becomes 'What camera(s) do professional landscape photographers use?'

My guess would be 6x6cm or larger size film cameras.

Torus34 said:
As soon as you include the word 'professional', as in 'professional landscape pics', your question becomes 'What camera(s) do professional landscape photographers use?'

My guess would be 6x6cm or larger size film cameras.
Personally I think it's too soon to worry about "professional". I don't want to throw a wet blanket on your aspirations, but it's easier if you think of it like a musical instrument or learning to fly an airplane. It takes someone a long time before they really need a Stradivarius or a Steinway & Sons. And when leanring to fly, you don't start with a stunt plane like the Extra 300. Sure, it gives you all sorts of options in your flying, and you aren't as limited in what kind of rolls, dives, and loops you can do; but when starting out, you don't need to pull 10Gs. Most people start in something like a Cessna trainer. It isn't sexy, but it does it's job well.

I know they aren't direct comparisons, but it's something to think about. Limited options can actually be useful when learning, and with something that usually takes a lot of practice before you are good enough to make money at it, it's usually smart to start off with something that doesn't break the bank.

But to answer your question, there are lots of different things pros use. Everyone chooses by what's important to them. Some will shoot 35mm because they want portability, others will shoot larger formats because they want the sharpest image possible. Some like rangerfinders, and other SLRs or TLRs. If you are starting out, it's hard to know what's going to be important to you, since there are so many variables and options available.

My suggestion would be to save that thousand and get something cheaper so that you can figure out what's important to you, and then you can spend it on something you know will be right. You didn't mention if it had to be film or digital. If you want digital, I don't think there are any out there that cater specifically to landscape. You just need to find something that does wide angle. I went with a 10D several years ago, because I had already experimented and found that an SLR with a vertical grip combined with a 50mm lens and an 85mm was perfect for me to do people shots and portraits, which is my main focus. Since the 10D directly replaced my EOS5, it was an easy choice. If I were still doing landscapes, I'd still be using film and medium format, probably something like a Fuji GW690III 6x9 and a hand-held lightmeter, but again, that's what works for me after experimenting.

At this point, I'd get something that you can learn on. Even if you spend a lot of time at it, it can take years before you reach the level that people want to buy your images, and even then it isn't easy. If you're patient, you'll get there, though.

Thanks guys. You've all been great help! It looks like a lot of you recommend the Nikon D50.

I'm not intending to earn from photography as i already have a successful business. It is a hobby i've become passionate about over the years, but never realised it until now. I've never used an amazing camera, but have always been pleased with my results. I just feel they could be even more special if i had a camera that could take wide shots and make the colours more real.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Hi. "Markc" has posted some excellent advice. The basic premise is, if you want to be a Formula 1 driver, you probably start off in a go-cart.
There are many cameras that cater for landscape photography, but the prime need is a wide-angle lens or a standard lens and a panoramic package, where you stitch together a series of images to make you final result. The wider the lens, the more of a tendency for distortion, wheras stitching together images removes the problem. Cameras like the "widelux" fix this problem by having a swivel lens. Shooting Professional Landscapes is a field all on its own. I would advise you, whatever camera you purchase to just start with a wide-angle lens and learn as you go along. Our own top landscape photographer in Australia is Ken Duncan, worth a look at his site. www.kenduncan.com Good luck. *have attached a couple of mine.
41-1.jpg

40.jpg

www.philipweirphotography.com

The Nikon D50 and the Canon Rebel XT are the two best entry-level Digital SLR cameras. If that's the route you are going to take, make sure to hold them both in the store...get the one that feel best to you.

One of your goals is wide landscape shots...unfortunately, both of those cameras (and any DSLR under $3000) are not well suited for really wide shots. See Crop Factor
You would need to buy an ultra-wide lens like the 12-24mm mentioned above, which can cost about as much as the camera.

A cheaper way to go, might be a 33mm film SLR...then 24mm is pretty wide and would be good for landscapes. You could eventually move up to a DSLR and keep the lenses (if you kept with the same brand of camera).

*edit*
The post above reminded me of something I was going to mention. Something like a Widelux can give you dramatically wide shots...which may not be something to get first off...it's more of a specialty thing...but really neat. Try a search of the forums...a fellow here has one and takes some really great photos with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back