What specifically do I look for in an SLR?

Dragoness

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What features are a MUST when buying a digital SLR camera for a beginner? (budget is up to 600.00, maybe 650.00 with shipping included)

What features can I pass on if necessary?

Do any particular brands have additonal lenses that cost much more than for other brands? Any that are likely to be a better price?

What about ISO , what should I look for and can someone please explain ISO to me?

What about buying used? Good idea or not?

Finally, what items do you usually need for your new camera, but that are not usually included with your kit?

1. It needs to do what you need it to do

2. depends on what you shoot.

3. quality>price, everyone makes pretty good lenses if you're willing to pay the price.

4. Doesn't really matter for the most part, almost all DSLR's have ISO 100-1600, you want to avoid going over 1600 unless it's absolutly critical. ISO changes the sensitivity of the sensor, like turning up the volume on a radio. the further away you get from the station (light) the more you need to turn up the volume (ISO) and as a result with both a radio and your sensor, you get static and noise becuase you're compensating for the signal (light loss).

5. I've had good experinces when I could acutally see it in my hands and use it. I don't suggest doing it online.

6. if not included, lens, filters, lens hoods, straps, memory cards, cleaning supplies, etc... you'll figure it out when you need it.

6. if not included, lens, filters, lens hoods, straps, memory cards, cleaning supplies, etc... you'll figure it out when you need it.

The problem with figuring it out when I need it is I live in a town with next to nothing available quickly. I either have to travel or order online. So to me it makes snese to buy the things I know I WILL need in advance.

you won't know untill you need it. i'm sorry.

Ok well it's safe to say you will need at least one memory card - SD or CF depending on the camera - and you will probably need some basic cleaning supplies - air blower, lens cloth. It would not be a terrible idea to buy a spare battery, and in terms of filters I would consider a circular polarizer (but before buying do some reading on how it's used and what it does). Of course what size filters depends on what lens you buy, and that is maybe the most important decision.

For lenses, Tamron, Sigma and Tokina may be cheaper than Canon, Nikon and Pentax. Sometimes they are just as good, maybe better, sometimes not. It really does depend on the specific lens in question.

yep, third party lenses are good for start, then you can see if you want more advanced and better stuff. Do you want built-in lens or something like Eos 350 - 400 series?
But buy at least 1 GB memory card and extra battery.

Most reactions

Back