What Technique does this photographer use?

bobaab

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bobaab.deviantart.com
I tried emailing this photographer but I haven't gotten a response back yet. So I was wondering if you guys would know.

http://www.overshadowed.com/mt/archives/2005_08.html

What technique/equipment is he most likely using for the non-traffic shots? It seems very silvery but it still has lots of color..I'm really interested in trying this.

It looks to me like he uses a digital camera though, so i'm guessing it's not a film technique...what do you guys think? Thanks guys.

-Bob

EDIT: ok looks like he uses film..it says so on the page with the picture on it hehe..i missed it..

I thought you'd get more views and replies if I moved this thread to the general Q&A forum, bobaab. :)

He's using a long exposure. This means that only things that emit intense light or stay still for a long time relatively will show up on the film. Hence the headlights showing up in light streaks but not the relatively dark cars.

It could be a polarizer but most likely the satuation and color was changed in photoshop. The shapeness comes from the lens.

Looks like post-processing to me. My guess is some sort of layer blend coupled with some desaturation. i use an overlay blend sometimes that can result in a similar look when you play with the layer opacity and desaturation.

It says both a Hassy and a Nikon DX2. Alot of the picture could be shot w/o any post production. Some good metering and a flat film like a Kodachrome or a fuji nph could do the trick. If you ever get to talk to the artist please let us know.

I noticed a old shot with fujichrome Provia. Also messaged him thru his flickr account and left a link to this thread. Perhaps he'll stop in and solve the mystery.

Most reactions

Back