What the Bleep were They Smoking?!

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've always wanted to create an illustrated coffee table book of exceptional screw-ups. Things like the Apple round (hockey puck) mouse -- design defeats function:

2014-03-11_13-45-40.png

or in the photo world the tapered thread cable release or the Speedotron flash sync extension cord:

sz13560.jpg

Well today on my walk I came upon a candidate that I believe merits inclusion for the creators choice of color.

Joe

ugly.jpg

You obviously are too young to remember 'avocado green' kitchen appliances.

As with fashion, colors and style changes over time, sometimes quickly (short fad) sometimes longer (classics).
Wait 20 years and it will be back in fashion.

You obviously are too young to remember 'avocado green' kitchen appliances.

No I'm not.

As with fashion, colors and style changes over time, sometimes quickly (short fad) sometimes longer (classics).
Wait 20 years and it will be back in fashion.

Won't make it any less ugly. And fashion is just a way to add stupid to ugly -- case in point:

noritaka_gaga.jpg

Joe

You can get orange and black? Cool. We had green, but it took two cockatiels to clean it.

As someone said, "there is no accounting for taste."

As for fashion, I can't believe some of the stuff that we wore when I was younger . . . YUK.
And I wasn't even on the leading side of fashion.
Plaid pants with a suit jacket, to dress down the jacket ???
REALLY WIDE bell bottom pants.

Although I see things like that today.
Boys wearing the back of their pants so low that their butt is hanging out over the top of the pants, so everyone can see what underpants they are wearing.

I bought an iMac that came with that round mouse...it was an ergonomic nightmare, and really hurt the hand! I used it for quite some time. And...I also own the Speedotron Brown Line flash synch cord you show...not sure why it was a design nightmare, since it worked splendidly for me from 1986-2001, fitted with a Paramount brand flash synch cord...I fired thousands and thousands of flash shots using that bladed synch cord...worked every time, until the Paramount cord finally broke a wire in 2001...and I bought Pocket Wizards!

Old couches are kind of cool...I encountered one not too long ago at a rural agricultural-only dump...a white (well, dirty tan...) velvet couch, amongst tons of ag debris...I shot some iPhone pics of it.

I recall avocado green appliances in some places we lived...

I bought an iMac that came with that round mouse...it was an ergonomic nightmare, and really hurt the hand! I used it for quite some time. And...I also own the Speedotron Brown Line flash synch cord you show...not sure why it was a design nightmare, since it worked splendidly for me from 1986-2001, fitted with a Paramount brand flash synch cord...I fired thousands and thousands of flash shots using that bladed synch cord...worked every time, until the Paramount cord finally broke a wire in 2001...and I bought Pocket Wizards!

My 2nd job in this industry started in the late 70's behind the counter at a camera store. You're just not one of the many photogs I met at the repair counter who used that Speedo equipment on location with an assistant who helped set it all up. You and I know the ends of that extension cord are red for a reason but in the rush to set it all up the assistant either didn't understand or forgot. Do I need to explain any further?

Joe

Old couches are kind of cool...I encountered one not too long ago at a rural agricultural-only dump...a white (well, dirty tan...) velvet couch, amongst tons of ag debris...I shot some iPhone pics of it.

I recall avocado green appliances in some places we lived...

Yes it is rather dumb that the industry used the same/similar bladed plug as the AC plug.
They could have use 1/4" phone plug. It was already heavily used in the phone industry, think of pix of the old telephone switchboard operators, so it wasn't like they had to invent a new plug.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back