What the heck is 3D for in photoshopCC?

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend bought me the whole adobe cart and horse subscription for my birthday. I've installed photoshop cc and i see an option where it says 3D. What Does 3D even mean and what can you do with it in pictures you've taken?

It'd be similar to CAD, for drawing 3D models, likely for more detailed models or to print to 3D. I think.

I see. But my question really is from a perspective as a amature photographer. Like how is the 3D feature useful in manipulating your photographs to enrich them if that is at all possible? I'm sorry if this question doesn't make all too much sense.

I see. But my question really is from a perspective as a amature photographer. Like how is the 3D feature useful in manipulating your photographs to enrich them if that is at all possible? I'm sorry if this question doesn't make all too much sense.

It makes sense, but I have no answer.

A regular photo has 2 dimensions - width and height.

Not all images are photographs. Digital photographs are raster graphics.

Many images are made using vector graphics.

A 3D image has 3 dimensions - width, height, and depth.

Photoshop CC is a raster graphics editing program, but has several vector graphics functions and tools.

Adobe's primary vector graphics editing application is Adobe illustrator. https://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator.html

Raster graphics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Raster graphics editor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vector graphics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vector graphics editor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps there is no use for 2D amateurs; PS is made for a very broad audience. Think of how the average person uses a spreadsheet, like Excel, and all the features that are available.

Text mostly. I've found after effects to be much easier tho.

Perhaps there is no use for 2D amateurs; PS is made for a very broad audience. Think of how the average person uses a spreadsheet, like Excel, and all the features that are available.

Short and very insightful. Thank you for your input. I like to learn and study things, because that's the type of person i am. But to be honest that 3D button would stick out like a sore thumb if i didn't :D.

Text mostly. I've found after effects to be much easier tho.

That is great! :wink: I'm so confused with all of this adobe stuff, it will take me a good year to learn how to put my metaphorical pants on. :lol: This is so confusing.

I just took a look at what it does, still a bit confused to what it's supposed to do!

I do CAD professionally, and we use softwares like Rhino3d, Alias, Pro-E, Solid works etc. The important question that drives the types of software we use is, what is the out come for?
If I am a designer, still in the design exploration stage, I will use softwares like Rhino and Alias because they allow me more flexible tools for 3D modeling. If I am trying to create a more complicated form, such as cars, Rhino and Alias are also the right tools. However, for most production driven work, I will prefer Pro-E or Solidworks because it's more convenient to transfer the data to engineers.

So I was asking the same question when I am trying to find out what Adobe 3D is, and honestly, I didn't find a clear answer. It can generate 3D data, but only with very simple and limiting tools. So really, it's not ideal for any sort of 3D modeling. It seems to be good for generating textures for existing 3D models, particularly for 3D studio max models, but what for? Gaming? Animation? I don't think it's good enough for either use. For product design needs, there are already great and intuitive rendering softwares to do the job. Of course, photoshop is always needed for graphic needs, but never the 3D aspect of the software.

I hope Adobe has some real goal for this 3D department of the software and its future development, otherwise it looks quite half-assed to me now.

39307_VDOI2QhwpFn9xrJqGxA0uTYHv.jpg

I just took a look at what it does, still a bit confused to what it's supposed to do!

I do CAD professionally, and we use softwares like Rhino3d, Alias, Pro-E, Solid works etc. The important question that drives the types of software we use is, what is the out come for?
If I am a designer, still in the design exploration stage, I will use softwares like Rhino and Alias because they allow me more flexible tools for 3D modeling. If I am trying to create a more complicated form, such as cars, Rhino and Alias are also the right tools. However, for most production driven work, I will prefer Pro-E or Solidworks because it's more convenient to transfer the data to engineers.

So I was asking the same question when I am trying to find out what Adobe 3D is, and honestly, I didn't find a clear answer. It can generate 3D data, but only with very simple and limiting tools. So really, it's not ideal for any sort of 3D modeling. It seems to be good for generating textures for existing 3D models, particularly for 3D studio max models, but what for? Gaming? Animation? I don't think it's good enough for either use. For product design needs, there are already great and intuitive rendering softwares to do the job. Of course, photoshop is always needed for graphic needs, but never the 3D aspect of the software.

I hope Adobe has some real goal for this 3D department of the software and its future development, otherwise it looks quite half-assed to me now.

I was an Engineering Tech and I did some designing with SolidWorks. Fun stuff, and I miss it.

A friend of mine who was studying and using programs for his architecture thought me a couple of things in CAD, that was so long ago. I showed him my house design i made in cad and he burst out in tears of laughter because i was just putting random doors, floor and stairs every which way, those were some good times :D. Right now i'm just wondering if the guy's at adobe aded this feature to enchance photographs, i'll try to find some material on this and see if anything comes up.

Most reactions

Back