What the heck to Charge???

As a contractor for the owner of the venue would he not have to do anything since he is handing over the product to the Venue owner who is then going to do the actual selling?

That's my thinking. I'm just like the bartender or bouncer. Yeah?

I think if you have a contract stipulating that it would cover your @ss but I would definitely check it out with a legal adviser to be sure. Best to be sure to be sure the irish say.

As a contractor for the owner of the venue would he not have to do anything since he is handing over the product to the Venue owner who is then going to do the actual selling?

It depends what the law is in NJ.

I was thinking of the "right of publicity" statues accorded "celebrities" in NJ.

It depends what the law is in NJ.

I was thinking of the "right of publicity" statues accorded "celebrities" in NJ.

I don't know that Wikipedia is the end all, be all on this subject, but it says there that NJ is not one of the states that has this law. It does however say, that while this law doesn't specifically exist through statute, those rights are protected through "common law". Whatever that means.

Anyway, If I handed over all the images to the venue owner, wouldn't that burden fall on him?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Anyone can sue you, at anytime, for anything.

Many "celebrities" are very protective of how their likeness is used, and have the financial means to use the threat and costs of preparing a defense for, or actually going to court, as a tool to exercise their will.

Good luck. (Note the 2 bottom lines of my siggy.)

These kinds of legal issues are not as cut and dried as laws, like for traffic violations. Most times the outcome of legal action depends which court and which judge presides.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Anyone can sue you, at anytime, for anything.

Many "celebrities" are very protective of how their likeness is used, and have the financial means to use the threat and costs of preparing a defense for, or actually going to court, as a tool to exercise their will.

Good luck. (Note the 2 bottom lines of my siggy.)

These kinds of legal issues are not as cut and dried as laws, like for traffic violations. Most times the outcome of legal action depends which court and which judge presides.

In our sue-happy country, you're probably right.

From someone who has done this for a long time, I think you may trying to run before you have really learned to walk yet. There is sooo much more involved in doing gigs like this than you may be aware of. Were I in your shoes, I would pass on this one and start small and work your way up to something like this.

Do you have model releases handy? How about liability insurance? What is someone trips over one of your power cords which you did not securely tape down with duct tape? As previously mentioned, how do you plan on selling images which have "celebrities" in them? How do you plan on getting proofs to people and collecting money? Cash, check, paypal, credit card? And keep in mind that for stuff like this you really should charge sales tax (check your local and state laws about what to do in this case), which means a business license and tax number. To do all of it without one could be setting yourself up for trouble with your state. And keep in mind, a lot of people may actually WANT prints, not just images on a CD or sent via email. You need to have answers to all of these questions and about a hundred more before you even get to "how much should I charge". You might want to approach a professional photographer who does this kind of thing for a living and go along with them on shoots like this, offering your services as a "hired hand". If he pays you, all the better, but leave that up to them. Your experience is worth a lot more than money at this point.

From someone who has done this for a long time, I think you may trying to run before you have really learned to walk yet. There is sooo much more involved in doing gigs like this than you may be aware of. Were I in your shoes, I would pass on this one and start small and work your way up to something like this.

Do you have model releases handy? How about liability insurance? What is someone trips over one of your power cords which you did not securely tape down with duct tape? As previously mentioned, how do you plan on selling images which have "celebrities" in them? How do you plan on getting proofs to people and collecting money? Cash, check, paypal, credit card? And keep in mind that for stuff like this you really should charge sales tax (check your local and state laws about what to do in this case), which means a business license and tax number. To do all of it without one could be setting yourself up for trouble with your state. And keep in mind, a lot of people may actually WANT prints, not just images on a CD or sent via email. You need to have answers to all of these questions and about a hundred more before you even get to "how much should I charge". You might want to approach a professional photographer who does this kind of thing for a living and go along with them on shoots like this, offering your services as a "hired hand". If he pays you, all the better, but leave that up to them. Your experience is worth a lot more than money at this point.

You know what? I've been leaning this way all day as I've thought about it. I have an IT consulting business and I understand the liability insurance, taxes, etc...

I have a friend who was a professional photographer years ago (retired) that I totally forgot about talking to before posting this question and all the things you've brought up, he brought up. He also told me I might want to pass on this. I was more interested in the experience than the money, but at this point, I want to walk first (like you said). There will be more opportunities.

Thanks,
Danny

I would look at the overall time spent including travel to and from, set an hourly rate for that, add in wear for your equipment, and some for your skill... most importantly, DO NOT APOLOGIZE for your price!(not saying you did) you will win some and loose some. Doctors do not apologize for their price, why should you?
If I were shooting these 30 minute gigs, and assuming I keep the rights to the images, I might show up for 400-600 and then sell images off of my site. I they want exclusive rights, then we are looking at 1200+

Most reactions

Back