What the lense see? Difference between Auto and Manual

robbyrob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I saw something today and it made me think.. I was in my dark living room and was going to take a picture of a candle. It wasn't pitch black but it was dark. Only light was the candle and kitchen light from back ground. I put the camera on manual and looked at the live view and it was pretty much blacked out. I just thought it was because of the dark room. I don't know why but I put it on auto and all of sudden I could see the candle and room. I was able to take a picture and actually see the candle.. I tried to shot it again in manual with same ISO and it was still darker than auto. Why do you guys think this is happening? Just want to know the technical reason. I also put the camera on A and P mode and It was brighter than manual but still darker than auto. On another note what mode do most of you shot in? I know lost of you go manual but do you do manual all the time? Reason I ask is because I've been shoting on A most of the time, sometimes P. Was just curious as I dont want to get want to use auto as I think if I go that route I'll get stuck there. Don't see the reason to go DSLR just to use auto..Thanks to all..Robby

Different settings?

What settings did the camera use in Auto? If you use the same settings (more than just the ISO) in Manual, you will get the same result.

Auto probably also used a different metering mode - but even then, you would get the same result if you used the same settings.

Josh is right. Auto is doing a lot more then you think sometimes. The metering and white balance that it set would make a big difference. Just keep tinkering with the setting until you get result close enough to satisfy what you are looking for.

There are a few different things going on here. The exposure is controlled by the combination of the shutter speed, aperture and ISO. When you put the camera into manual mode, those settings are not tied to the camera's light meter...and they will go back to the settings that were used when the camera was last in manual mode. So when you change from any of the auto modes, to manual, it's likely that the exposure will be different. In manual mode, it's up to you to change those settings to get proper exposure.

Also, you seem to be mentioning how bright it looks on the screen during live view. I believe there is a setting on your camera that tells the display to mimic the exposure you would get with the current settings (or not). So if you're in a dark room and you can't see well enough to focus etc., you can use live view to see it...although, it may still be hard to focus in that amount of light, and you'll likely need to have the camera on a tripod or something, because it will require a long shutter speed.

Also, you seem to be mentioning how bright it looks on the screen during live view. I believe there is a setting on your camera that tells the display to mimic the exposure you would get with the current settings (or not). So if you're in a dark room and you can't see well enough to focus etc., you can use live view to see it...although, it may still be hard to focus in that amount of light, and you'll likely need to have the camera on a tripod or something, because it will require a long shutter speed.

This was my first thought. Not sure which camera you have, but my Canon calls the option "exposure simulation", on the live view menu. With it enabled, the exposure you see in live view will match your final image. With it disabled, the camera boosts the image as much as necessary so you can see what you're doing, regardless of how the actual shot will turn out.

Compare the EXIF data of both and see where the differences are. Auto may have made a settings change that you hadn't noticed.

thanks guys for all your responses.

Compare the EXIF data of both and see where the differences are. Auto may have made a settings change that you hadn't noticed.

Yea I think I need to compare this to get an insight on whats the camera doing..

Big Mike said:

I have to check if my camera does this.. I have a Sony A390, still looking through the manual like it was a playboy and I was 13. Every time I read it I seem to see something I missed the first time.

User's manual are like that, in so far as you have a bit more knowledge each time you read it, so you didn't so much miss it before but it sure didn't register.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back