what to buy first--recent graduate???

A very high quality desktop monitor would be my first choice. A tripod is a must-have.

In the beginning there was light.

Filters, speedlight, sync cable.

Hello! Im soon to be a photography graduate and Im wondering the best piece of equipment to purchase first....I have my own camera, but where do I go now? Lights first or a printer? Or something else? Tips anyone?? thank you!

Did you learn anything in school? I never have any training in photography and may be that's why I never asked what should I buy.

Dang, I wish I would have said that! Sounds like the perfect answer.:Hail.sml: :thumbyo:

I'm guessing I'll be in the minority here, but the best thing you can buy is.. nothing.

Shoot with what you have. Figure out what problems arise and what shots you missed with your current equipment, and why - then look at buying things to address that specific need.

Hello! Im soon to be a photography graduate and Im wondering the best piece of equipment to purchase first....I have my own camera, but where do I go now? Lights first or a printer? Or something else? Tips anyone?? thank you!

Not to sound flippant, but where did you go to school that, as a graduate, you are at a complete loss as to what gear you need?

Assuming we are reading this correctly, and that you received an education in photography... I would think that you would have gained at least a tiny little bit of insight as to what you would need to practice your craft.

Last edited:
I'm not formally educated, as far as photography is concerned, but your question seems to be a bit vague.

I would sit down and put together a business plan, if, as I'm assuming, you're going to make photography your profession. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, many people offer these services, and some banks, if you do business with them, will help you with this also.

I think at that point, with your education in photography, your business plan will dictate, or at least suggest what equipment and other things you may need such as a studio, insurance, accounting software, advertising, etc..etc..etc.. and what your priorities should be.

I've seen way too many new businesses fail, due to not having a solid business plan and sticking to it, adjusting as you go. You didn't state what kind of photography you intend to pursue as a profession, which will be a big part of your business plan. The first thing you might, or might not need before anything else, would be to lock in an interest rate on a line of credit, with your banker, financier, or whatever, before you buy a lens, lights, printers etc...

Good luck to you,
J.

If you have graduated in photography and you are having to ask what you need i would ask for my education fees back

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

save the money for business classes...

Ill skip the smart ass responses (plenty of those already!).
Seriously if you have a camera and a lense of two start shooting, figure out what photography you like doing and what you find yourself wishing you had. For example recently I have been wishing my lense had longer zoom on it more and more, so I reckon my next buy will be a longer zoom lense.

Without a gear list and an idea of what you want to shoot its almost impossible to say.

In order of priortiy what I would buy if I was starting out from scratch again (assuming I had a body and one lens) is:

A good strap
Lightroom and photoshop
A spare battery or 4
Spare memory card
Decent tripod
Remote shutter release
A quality CPL
A speedlight
Quality GND filter set
A Cleaning kit
A battery grip
Good glass
And ND filter set
A panoramic bracket
Even beter glass.

Without a gear list and an idea of what you want to shoot its almost impossible to say.

In order of priortiy what I would buy if I was starting out from scratch again (assuming I had a body and one lens) is:

A good strap
Lightroom and photoshop
A spare battery or 4
Spare memory card
Decent tripod
Remote shutter release
A quality CPL
A speedlight
Quality GND filter set
A Cleaning kit
A battery grip
Good glass
And ND filter set
A panoramic bracket
Even beter glass.
The exact sequence in which you get what depends upon what style of photography you're going for, though.

I often do newslike photography. There I can do a lot with only my camera and my trusty 28mm.

Strap - I still use the Nikon strap, which I often wield in such a way as if it was a handstrap.

@Solarflare Aye mate, that's why I said it was what I'd buy :) I like shooting landscapes, so its geared towards that.

Interestingly enough thats the same way I used to use my canon strap when I was out and about too. I went on to get an actual hand strap but found it didn't work well for me when I also got a battery grip so I ended up black rapid which suits me now

I would recommend that you save your money until YOU know what you need. Everyone has different needs depending on how and what they shoot. In reality you are the only one who can answer that question.

sounds like good advice

Most reactions

Back