What to buy?

Karl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I bought a camera now, thanks to all the advice on this thread.
Feel free to check the 3rd page for my favourite first shots. ^_^;

Hey everyone!

I'm new in photography but apparently I have an "inborn" talent or something. XD Whenever I grab someone's camera and snap a few shots, the result seems to be strangely beautiful.

Thus I've decided to invest a few bucks into getting myself a beginner's camera but have no clue what to get. My budget is fairly tight, around $300. So, what do you guys propose?

Oh, I live in Montreal - Quebec, but I don't mind buying off the internet. :3

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I've read a little about both, but the two terms are still rather abstract. Could you briefly clarify each for me, each's advantage? Their differences? x]

With SLR you can change lenses, larger sensor, better high ISO performance, beter manual controls.
P&S: compact.
SLRs are those big black cameras you sometimes see. A P&S is most likely what you friends have. Point and Shoots are also referred to as Digital Cameras. I dont call them that b/c digital SLR's are also Digital Cameras.

Ahh! that's what I thought.

Now.. I have a camera.. that's a little old (still film, not digital..) and have 3 or 4 lenses with it. It was my father's, he gifted it to me before I getting away from me.. With a SLR, could I use these lenses on it?

I've read a little about both, but the two terms are still rather abstract. Could you briefly clarify each for me, each's advantage? Their differences? x]
Mainly cost.
A DSLR usually has the capability of interchangable lenses, a shoe mount for speedlitghts more powerful than the built-in light. In other words more artistic freedom.

A point and shoot is usually smaller but whatever lens it has is your only choice.

Entry level used DSLR's on eBay are just over your stated budget.

The shutter mechanism in any camera is what usually determines it's usefull lifetime expressed in number of times the mechanism has been used, AKA, clicks.

Entry level DSLR's are pretty much used up around 50,000 shutter actuations (clicks).

The camera is a NIKON.

I don't know what model..

The lenses I have are;

1- NIKON LENS SERIES E (35mm 1 : 2.5)

2- NIKON NIKKOR 50mm (1 : 2.8)

3- This one is a little weird.. because I can separate it in two.. like if it had a "base".. not sure if that makes any sense? But essentially it says VIVITAR 135mm (1 : 2.8) MC TELEPHOTO. (And I have a UV Haze for it.) <-- I can take some pictures of this one if it doesn't make sense what it is.

Thanks!

Oh by the way, I update my budget to around $350 XD Maybe a little more if I can squeeze a few bux from my mum.

if you are serious about photography,buy a d-slr. point and shoot cameras are horrible. bite the bullet and spend the extra cash to get a slr. there are three major differances. image sensor size, processor, and high quality interchangeable lenses. slr's have a much lager sensor (almost 60% lager) which is like having a larger piece of film. the cameras processors are of a much higher quality, less digital noise, faster shutter speeds, hands down better image quality. most importantly the capability to change lenses. buying faster lenes, lenses with stabilizers, wide angle/fisheye, zoom, etc. im sorry but 300, wont be enough for one. look into an entry level slr, i recomend four cameras. canon rebel xs ($549.99) sony alpha a200 ($499.99) and nikon d40/d60 (d40$449.99/d60$574.99) ...... nikon and canon are better choices, reason being ... in the future when you want a better camera, nikon and canon will have the best lenses (other than carl zeiss t* lenses) and are the best cameras. i shoot with a canon myself. canons selection of lenses is awsome, and they have the best image processor on the market (in my opinion). cant go wrong with that sony alpha a200 tho. it has a midrange price and has a lot of bang for the buck. but if you are gonna invest in expensive lenses (which in photography are you main investment, not the camera itself) then go canon or nikon. if your only gonna buy a camera and maybe a 75-300/55-200 lens (most common 2nd beginner lens) then get that sony. great camera, easy to use. but i stress CANON! i noticed a lot of people shoot nikon, i dont trust nikon, everything they make is cheap to me. ESPECIALLY THEIR POINT AND SHOOTS! hope this helps? long live ...... canon

wow, those are old. i believe they are all manual focus lenses. can you take pictures of them?

Yes they are manual focus lenses.. As in, I need to twist their body to adjust the focus.. I suppose I can't use those with SLR?

THE LENSES YOU HAVE MAY WORK ON NEW NIKON DSLR'S. BUT ON NIKONS ENTRY LEVEL SLRS D40/D60 THEY HAVE TO HAVE A SWICTH ON THE LENS MARKED AF/MF. BECAUSE THE D40/D60 DO NOT HAVE BUILT IN AUTOFOCUS MOTORS AND THE LENSES MAY FIT BUT MAY NOT AUTO FOCUS. BRING THEM TO YOUR LOCAL CAMERA SHOP AND TRY THEM ON A D40! OR A D60! (D90 IS WAYYYYYYYY BETTER THO, AT A $1300 PRICE POINT HEHE)

The camera is a NIKON.

I don't know what model..

The lenses I have are;

1- NIKON LENS SERIES E (35mm 1 : 2.5)

2- NIKON NIKKOR 50mm (1 : 2.8)

3- This one is a little weird.. because I can separate it in two.. like if it had a "base".. not sure if that makes any sense? But essentially it says VIVITAR 135mm (1 : 2.8) MC TELEPHOTO. (And I have a UV Haze for it.) <-- I can take some pictures of this one if it doesn't make sense what it is.

Thanks!

Thanks for the recommendation. :]

Is this in consideration of the current lenses I currently have?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back