what to buy?

busta9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to buy my gf a DSLR and maybe some lenses for her birthday in a couple weeks. She has a budding interest in photography and would like to possibly start a photography business someday with her friend who is already into the hobby. My question is what should I buy? I think I want to get her a cannon EOS 50D but am not sure if it can take professional quality pictures. I want to get her a camera that is not too expensive but can take professional quality pictures. Also What type of lenses should I be looking at? I will be reading the forum to learn more about the lenses but if anyone can help me out that would be great.

Do some research and find out costs - then work out a maximum amount - go to her and take her out camera shopping with that amount (either in the shops or online) but let her make the choice - afterall she is the one who has to use the gear. We really can't recomend a camera for her to use and lenses without any input from her and what her interests and intentions for the gear are.
Also the 50D is more than capable as a camera - the lenses have to be very good though and the photographer very good as well.

I wouldn't break the bank on a girlfriend... wife, maybe :D

I'm a Nikon guy so I'd get her a Nikon D40 with 18-55 kit lens to start out with. Any DSLR these days has the ability to capture nice photos, it's up to the person behind the camera to do so.

Do some research and find out costs - then work out a maximum amount - go to her and take her out camera shopping with that amount (either in the shops or online) but let her make the choice - afterall she is the one who has to use the gear. We really can't recomend a camera for her to use and lenses without any input from her and what her interests and intentions for the gear are.
Also the 50D is more than capable as a camera - the lenses have to be very good though and the photographer very good as well.

I hear what you are saying. Im just trying to gain some information before talking to salesman. I dont want them to talk her into something thats not good enough or something that is out of our price range.

If she wanted to have a camera capable of taking professional looking wedding photos. What are some things she should look for in a camera?

I'm a Nikon guy so I'd get her a Nikon D40 with 18-55 kit lens to start out with. Any DSLR these days has the ability to capture nice photos, it's up to the person behind the camera to do so.

She has said in the past she likes nikon. Is Nikon on the same level as cannon. I have been told by a lot of people cannon is the best.

A Canon 50D is a fine camera and will be more than adequate for her. You can actually get her one in the Rebel line (XSI, T1i) and get some better lenses.

The things that will have the biggest impact on professional looking, high quality pictures are the lenses and then the photographer. After that comes the camera body.

I use a Canon XSI and have great results with them. You will gain a more robust body, faster shots per seconds (good for sports) and better low light capability with the 50D over an XSI. Not huge things for a beginner, specially one shooting with good lenses.

I bought an XSI and love the camera. Had I known how much I would grow in to the hobby (and actually start to get paid for doing it), I would of picked up the 40D instead. But I do not regret my purchase.

She has said in the past she likes nikon. Is Nikon on the same level as cannon. I have been told by a lot of people cannon is the best.

While Nikon and Canon have their differences, they are both very high quality cameras and lenses. Both are used professionally around the world and someone who told you that one is better than the other is full of it (and trying to simply justify their expenses).

It is very important to go with her to the store, as one of the main things with a camera is how it feels in your hands. Sounds corny, but i always suggest to people to try the camera on before you buy.

I agree with a prior poster in setting a budget, and then bring her to the store and let her chose. Its a significant investment (which will only get bigger as she grows into the hobby) so might as well make it the right one off the bat

'The best' is what feels best in your hands and that you are more comfortable using.

Go somewhere that you can hold each one and go from there, there's a world of difference when you pick them up even though they do essentially the same thing.

Most reactions

Back