What to charge when starting out???

Unreal Tuner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I will be doing some photgraphy this coming weekend for a friend who has a organization for kids. She saw my pictures and wanted to hire me for this upcoming event. I was just curious as since its my first actual paid event, She said she had no problem paying me and if all works out well, she said she would hire me for future events. I wanted to know what others charged when they first started just so I could get an idea. :biggrin:

Or should I charge at all?? Thanks for any and all of your feedback!

my advice would be only charge for the prints.

there is no pressure on your part then and you can enjoy the experience. if everything turns out well then you can charge for the next one.

now what you charge is relly up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

Charge whatever you think your time is worth.

The correct way is to work out all your overheads, including cost of materials, equipment hire and such things as transportation to and from the event. Then work out how much time it will take you - start to finish - and multiply that by how much you think your time is worth per hour. Add it all together along with any taxes payable, insurance and all other below the line expenses (like rent, rates and such) and you get your answer.
Try not to laugh out loud at the figure before chucking it in the bin and doing what everyone else does in this situation. Just charge for materials and add in the price of a drink ;)

Hertz is correct, this is a pro approach, but as your "starting out" as you say, I'd personally charge a sitting fee to cover expenses (travel/time) and then sell prints of the kids to all the families at the going rate. H

Most reactions

New Topics

Back