What to do about long exposure artifacts?

TJ K

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so I like taking pics of star trails and all that fun stuff but when I examine the photos there are always a ton of green,blue, and red dots. Is the only way to get rid of all of these is to use the spot removal tool and go by and individually click each dot to get rid of it? Thanks here is a pic example:

4131495719_2b2758f0ac_b.jpg

tj

Noise reduction software like Noiseware Pro.

What astronomers do is they cool their image sensor. The pro astronomers use liquid nitrogen. Amateur astronomers use digital cameras made specifically for astronomical imaging that have built in cooling systems.

Like this one.

Alright awesome. If i had some spare cash laying around that would be pretty cool to buy! I'm sure some amazing photos would be guaranteed out of that thing.
tj

I believe an alternate way (although I don't know how it's done) is to stack many shorter exposures in order to both average out the noise and to allow the sensor to cool down.

Ya that is another way but at the time I was up at our little weekend getaway spot and wanted to open the shutter and go have fun. Once I get the d300 I can put it on a timer mode and it will do it all for me. Then i need something to stack them haha.
tj

Take a photograph with the lens cap on for the same length of time as your star trails photograph. Then subtract it from the one with the star trails. That's what astronomers do, it's called "dark subtraction." You can do this in Photoshop by putting the dark in a layer above the star trails and then setting the layer blending mode to "Difference."

Most reactions

Back