What to do about ugly background?

AggieBecky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've just started to edit this picture and the ugly fence in the background is driving me crazy. I know I should have thought of that before shooting the picture, unfortunately it was just a shot of my cousin's little boy playing in their backyard that's surrounded with the ugly fence. Anyway, is there anything I can do about it? Some kind of fix that wouldn't be too difficult? Thanks so much!

$uglyfence1-L.jpg

it's not so bad. The child not making eye contact is what you might be concerned about.

Hmm, good point. Looking back I do have a pic of him making eye contact and it's got a much better angle on the fence so that you don't see any of the red posts. That may be a better option. Thanks!

Get in closer using a shallow DOF but the fence isn't that bad like Designer said. If the fence only had one red post and it was poking out from the back of his head then it might be an issue but as it is you didn't get any post poking out and it isn't cluttered.

Thanks for the info about the fence not looking so bad. So now I'm looking at the pic where I have eye contact but he has a bad shadow across his face. I'm usually pretty good at using the Lightroom adjustment brush to remove shadows but this one is proving to be tough.

This one doesnt really bother me.. but if you have something in the background that is bright and different color, usually that is the time you want B&W.

I think your picture looks good enough, I like the interaction of the boy with the dog, the fence does not bother me either, what does, is the perspective of the fence. The post closest to the boy should normally go straight up! just rotate the photo a bit and it should solve the problem.

Crop. Juga said get in closer. The focal point is the child and the dog. I had to force myself to look for the background. (Hah). CS6 can blur the background even more. I like the pic, great job....

$quick edit.jpg
I did a quick edit of your pic. Blurred the background a bit and moved the subjects off centre. The child is looking down there's no correcting that unless I clone him a new pair of eyes (can be done);). The dog however is looking left so you can enhance the composition by using some negative space to the left of the subjects.
Just my 2 cents.

as stated I wouldve blurred the background more and changed the composition up by putting the dog and child to the right, consider the "rule of thirds" guideline. the background isnt that disturbing though as stated if the child or dog had a post growing out of their heads is when an issue would be presented.

So, it looks like the suggestions so far are:

• Don't worry about it - it's not too bad.
  • Go back in time and shoot it again, but better.
  • Rotate/Straighten it so the fence post is true vertical.
  • Blur the background.
  • Crop it.
I'll add to the list with:

Mask it and drop in any background you like better:

uglyfence1-L_new_BG_by_Buckster.jpg

You could even use a magazine mockup over top of it for some fun:

uglyfence1-L_new_BG_n_Mag_cover_by_Buckster.jpg

Last edited:
You can do any or all of these things to de-emphasize it:

- blur it
- darken it
- desaturate the color on it

Apply each one of them gently and non-obviously, and you might be pleased with the overall effect. I prefer to do these changes on separate layers (that is, duplicate the entire layer, then blur/darken/desaturate the whole layer) and then "paint in" with a mask the amount and position of the modified material I want. This makes it easy to feather the effects pleasingly.

So, it looks like the suggestions so far are:

• Don't worry about it - it's not too bad.
  • Go back in time and shoot it again, but better.
  • Rotate/Straighten it so the fence post is true vertical.
  • Blur the background.
  • Crop it.
I'll add to the list with:

Mask it and drop in any background you like better:

uglyfence1-L_new_BG_by_Buckster.jpg

You could even use a magazine mockup over top of it for some fun:

uglyfence1-L_new_BG_n_Mag_cover_by_Buckster.jpg

Buck to the rescue....:hail:

Yall are so good! I'm still learning how to use photoshop....

ndancona- Your edit is probably closest to what I had in mind to distract from the background. Can you tell me how you did it? How did you extend the background/fence? And how did you add so much blur to the background?

Buck- I don't know if your edit is what I had in mind but it is so much fun-- I love it! Where do you get fun backgrounds like that?

Thanks everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back