What to do now?

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need some advice on what I can to do move closer to my goal of becoming a wedding photographer. I have asked on several forums what is the best way to go about this is to, and the answer is always to become an assistant or second shooter, which I would love to do. So I have been looking regularly for professionals looking for an assistant, but it seems as though no one is looking for one. I do practice as much as I can, but being a stay at home dad with 2 kids, while also trying to finish up a degree in psychology, and only having one car (which my wife takes to work) doesn't leave me as much time as i woudl like. I actually did shoot 2 weddings before. The first i was about 10, and I was just doing it for fun. Many of my pictures were better than the actual photographers. The second I was 16 and I actually was the photographer.

So what can I do? Should I call photographers and offer to work for free? Should I simply read and practice on my own until I see a photographer who is hiring? Should I get comfortable enough with my skills and try to get a wedding to shoot?

if i were you i'd certainly be willing to work for free, but be a second shooter if you can. work a wedding on your own if you can, and you think you're up to the task.

really, it's rare that a working pro will just hire a random 2nd shooter. they need to see work that you've done. they need to know that you can back them up with some actual usable shots, but more likely that you'll know where and how to put up a light stand when it's needed.

my advice would be to continue getting out and shooting as much as possible. get some work available so when the opportunity comes along you are prepared with something someone can see and be impressed with.

perhaps even consider paying a wedding photographer (who's work you admire) for a few lessons. that way you develop a relationship and they might be more apt to taking you along once in a while!

good luck :)

You are in a tough spot for sure, but you must keep the faith. Reading and practicing is only a small part of the equation. Join some groups and take some classes. You have to network and be around other professionals and enthusiasts. This will greatly speed up the process.

Do not work for free. Arguably; that attitude is killing the industry.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back