What to do, what to do

benhasajeep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
11 1/2 hour flight from Tel Aviv to Newark. Have a book, and in seat movies on Continental. But that only works for so long. :scratch:

Airport in Tel Aviv actualy has terminal wide free wireless. That is unuseual. Most airports charge for it.

Looks like I will be home for the holiday. 2 years in a row. Record for me. :wink:

Hooray for going home for the holidays!

Is that 11 1/2 hours flight time (including layovers), or is that like, "I left at __ o'clock local time and got in at ___ o'clock local time" time? Either way, I hope they're showing a good movie.

I tried to resist, but I have to one-up you on this. Two summers ago my family went to Chile to visit my mom's family. 21 hours "flight" time, although about 6 of those were in layover (so 15 hours of actual flying--or just sitting on the tarmac).

I can probably beat that by sitting in an uncomfortable chair in my house for 24 hours watching Gilligan's Island re-runs with my wife bringing me coffee and peanuts. But I don't think I will. ;-))

cal_gundert05 said:
Hooray for going home for the holidays!

Is that 11 1/2 hours flight time (including layovers), or is that like, "I left at __ o'clock local time and got in at ___ o'clock local time" time? Either way, I hope they're showing a good movie.

I tried to resist, but I have to one-up you on this. Two summers ago my family went to Chile to visit my mom's family. 21 hours "flight" time, although about 6 of those were in layover (so 15 hours of actual flying--or just sitting on the tarmac).

11.5 hours take off to touch down single flight.

Except for someone in the airforce maybe I am fairly sure I can be the most time on an aircraft without being in a hotel or bed.

I used to fly as a fly on mechanic for my company. During the longshoreman strike 4 years ago in CA, our freighters were flying so much we didn't have enough guys. My trip wold be, leave Toledo Ohio to Anchorage AK for fuel, Then on to Japan for fuel. Then on to Singapore for cargo unload / load. Back to Japan, Anchorage, Toledo. Thats 58 hours without a propper bed (our planes don't have lay down crew rest either). Of course I had a sleeping bag and layed on the floor just forward of the cargo net. But no shower, and only airplane food for 2 straight days. Luckily the planes ran very well and only had to service engine oil during the fuel tech stops. I would then get off in Toledo and another guy would get on and do the same thing. We did this for 2 months. With 2 aircraft. The only time I refused overtime was during those 2 months.

The flight crews actually sent the company a letter saying it was unsafe that were on the planes too long (trying to do us a favor). I know of at least one other company that their mechanics and load masters at times have been on longer. But at least their planes have crew rest provisions.

Oh, btw per FAA rules its perfactially legal. Only pilots and flight attendants have duty day rules! Not mechanics.

benhasajeep said:
I used to fly as a fly on mechanic for my company. During the longshoreman strike 4 years ago in CA, our freighters were flying so much we didn't have enough guys. My trip wold be, leave Toledo Ohio to Anchorage AK for fuel, Then on to Japan for fuel. Then on to Singapore for cargo unload / load. Back to Japan, Anchorage, Toledo. Thats 58 hours without a propper bed (our planes don't have lay down crew rest either). Of course I had a sleeping bag and layed on the floor just forward of the cargo net. But no shower, and only airplane food for 2 straight days. Luckily the planes ran very well and only had to service engine oil during the fuel tech stops. I would then get off in Toledo and another guy would get on and do the same thing. We did this for 2 months. With 2 aircraft. The only time I refused overtime was during those 2 months.

:er:

just kidding

:hail:

cal_gundert05 said:
:er:

just kidding

:hail:

It's not an acolade I want recognition for thats for sure. Really bad trips. Even drinking lots of water still get dehydrated. The company never even said thanks to the guys who did it. Basically their feelings are that it would be made up during the slow season. Where we dont have to work quite as hard when we are not flying as much. Not even a single bonus for that specific work was given. They used too in the past, if you did something beyond normal.

Oh well, at least I get paid. Quite a few with major carriers have been laid off.

Most reactions

Back