What to do when you are out of your element?

JLEphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.eldridgestudios.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I used to live in East Tennessee (30 min from the Smoky Mountains). I was an avid nature/wildlife photographer and spent several days a week there doing just that. My wife and I moved to Homestead, FL (just south of Miami) and my majestic landscapes are gone and with that a bit of my passion. I have had little experience in other areas of Photography and could use some guidance/encouragement to rekindle my passion. So, do you have any?

Get a macro lens and discover the landscapes of the macro world :)
A nice 90mm or longe macro is great for insects and then you can flik to the other end of the scale - take a shorter prime lens (or good zoom) and stick extension tubes onto it for a wider more landscapy view of the macro world

Bird photography.... I know it sounds odd from landscape....But that is what did it for me... Now thru march all of the wonderful birds come to south florida and it is very challenging but yet very rewarding.

You need long fast glass though.

Don't forget about the everglades and the wild gators...they can be fun to shoot too.

I live in south florida and I moved here from the midwest so I know what your going through.

Cheers, Joe

Last edited:
you also live in florida?

take advantage of the beach views, the water and the sights. go to coral castle :D

shoot people in bikinis :D

All kidding aside.... When I start getting bored with my photography I look at what other photographers are shooting in my area.

Here is my flickr stream to give you some ideas.

Flickr: joemcbroom's Photostream

Try going out on the streets and shooting whatever grabs your attention. something or someone will grab your fancy. Remember Cartier-Bresson? He was always outside looking for anything interesting. Start with the things that don't move, like buildings, and then move on. Change happens, you just have to keep up.

one word: experiment.

Try things that are out of your element. It will make you be a better rounded photographer and you will see the world outside of just landscapes.

When I started shooting, though it was mostly people b/c that is where the $ was, I actually LOVED doing landscapes. Few years ago, after moving back to US, I stopped landscaping nearly completely and went back on people.

Play around, see what you'll like and HAVE FUN DOING IT :thumbup:

If you would like any locations of any of the shots please feel free to ask.

Joe

Any that you can spare would be great! I love the pier pictures. Were the humming birds and butterfly pics from the butterfly sanctuary? I have heard a great deal about that place.

That's what they say. :)

however, there are good places and very BAD places... As in bad for your health.

I want the good places. A decent beach for me is about an hour. So any specific locations would be a great help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back