What to do with figs??

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We have 3 fig trees, last year was so dry we didn't get much fruit but this year holy Hannah!!

I just picked the bottom branches and have wayyyy more than I know what to do with!!

Any suggestions? ;)

$image-1951296345.jpg

figgy pudding.

Joe

They look wonderful. Could you trade with people locally who've grown other fruit?

figgy pudding.

Joe
Ha! That was the only thing I could think of off the top of my head other than Fig Newtons lol I looked it up and it does look rather yummy, I'm definitely going to make this at some point!
fig jam is terrific.
dried figs
figs by ups to Lew

Dried, meh but jam I think I'm going to do, I have well over 5 cups now and that will render 8 small jars from the looks of it :) I probably still have the same amount still on the tree that's ready and the same again that's still ripening!
They look wonderful. Could you trade with people locally who've grown other fruit?
Thanks Ken :) aren't they gorgeous! That's a great idea, I'll have to poke around for sure.

dried figs are great.
They aren't totally dry just sort of concentrated.

and of course there's the 'ups to Lew' option. :D
not to be so quickly discarded.

figs and Dutch soft sweet licorice, my two vulnerabilities.

Make Newtons. Really, my mom used to make cookies that were similar to the store bought ones. Get some kids to set up a lemonade stand, you provide the cookies?? LOL Have a bake sale??

Set up a roadside market of sorts, a table & chair & a sign, to sell the fruit? Depends on where you live I guess, I see those around for tomatoes etc.

dried figs are great.
They aren't totally dry just sort of concentrated.

and of course there's the 'ups to Lew' option. :D
not to be so quickly discarded.

figs and Dutch soft sweet licorice, my two vulnerabilities.

I have many many years of figs to come so I'm sure I will dry some at some point ;)
I may even take you up on the UPS! Lol! These are so yummy it would be a shame not to share ;)

Thanks Vintage, I may try to make my own, everything is better homemade IMHO ;)

Oops, missed the roadside part, I'm actually working up to that! While we are on a side road that in general doesn't get much local traffic there is a bridge just up from our driveway that many people get dropped off at from town or the two campsites that are nearby to tube down the river. Once I get this whole gardening thing down pat I'm going to start putting things at the road.

Just don't google "figging".

Don't.

(dried) Fennel/Fig bread.

(fresh) Sliced and paired with goat cheese.

I'm pretty sure figs come up routinely in Mediterranean cooking. Try a google search on figs in Mediterranean cooking, and you'll probably get some fantastic recipes that you can turn to regularly while they are in season like this. :) Of course, jam will use up several at a time, which is desirable when you have several trees like you do!

I'm with Lew here - you might think about getting an inexpensive "food dehydrator" which will make all kinds of dried fruit (and folks love to make their own beef jerky) and you could have them around for months as healthy snacks. Or bag them and give them away. Yum!!

Send them to me!! I'll take care of them for ya. Just need to stock up on wine.

Just don't google "figging".

Don't.
You know normally I can't resist and I end up looking and regretting it, this time I'm going to do my damnedest to resit! I will not look!!
(dried) Fennel/Fig bread.

(fresh) Sliced and paired with goat cheese.
Thanks Andrew, I keep seeing goat cheese paired with it and I LOVE goat cheese!
I'm pretty sure figs come up routinely in Mediterranean cooking. Try a google search on figs in Mediterranean cooking, and you'll probably get some fantastic recipes that you can turn to regularly while they are in season like this. :) Of course, jam will use up several at a time, which is desirable when you have several trees like you do!

I'm with Lew here - you might think about getting an inexpensive "food dehydrator" which will make all kinds of dried fruit (and folks love to make their own beef jerky) and you could have them around for months as healthy snacks. Or bag them and give them away. Yum!!
Thanks Terri! I will look up some Mediterranean recipes for sure, I want to use some fresh and some for jam and if there is enough I will likely give dehydrating them a go, we love jerky and I often make it just in the oven, might be an argument to grab a real dehydrator!
Send them to me!! I'll take care of them for ya. Just need to stock up on wine.
I'm starting to think a wine, goat cheese and fig party might be in order :)

Make some fig wine or to get rid of a few put 2 slits in them, stuff with mozzarella, wrap in prosciutto ham and bake for 20mins (that also works really well with tomatoes or mushrooms in place of the figs)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back