What to do with my Nikon D1x?

mergetrio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Currently, I own a Nikon D1x, Nikkor 24-120mm, Nikkor 60mm and SB-28DX Flash. I bought them back in 2004 and they are in fantastic condition. Fast forward and digital cameras have advanced and the prices have come down quite a bit.

Should I upgrade? Which Nikon? I'm assuming my lenses will fit all Nikon SLRs. Or, should I just keep it?

Thanks for your opinions.

PS I sent it to Nikon today for a software update.

Last edited:
Convert your old camera to IR and purchase a D700. Boom clap.

Or, if don't already have one, get an AC power cord & intervelometer remote for it ($60 total) and use it as a dedicated camera for long-term time lapse photography..... plants growing, fruit rotting, set it out in the back yard for a day and catch the clouds going by, etc.

Last edited:
IR, as in infrared? How would I do it? Kit or professional? How much? I think this is a great idea!

You can do it at home with a kit, but I'd definately go with professional. Around $400. Go 830nm.

Mark

The D700 seems to be Nikon's hottest camera overall, yes. But it's not the one that sells the most, by far, because of the price tag ($2700). It's not quite a beginner camera, but it's definately something to learn on! It's really a beast of a camera. Of course Nikons D3/s/x line are supposed to be considered their best, but they're being replaced on the 24th (the D700 may as well, but I personally doubt it). The D700 has been out of stock pretty much everywhere lately. The D7000 is Nikon's hottest camera on the consumer/prosumer market. Both will do you great for a long, long time to come. The D300s (slightly above D7000, I'd say) and D90 (below D7000) are also amazing cameras. I love both of mine.

Mark

How long do you think is D700's product life cycle before a major improvement comes along? I want to make sure that it keeps its value for awhile, unlike the D1x. Since, my purchase of D1x the technological improvements in the digital technology seems to be exponential.

I sold my last D1X about a year ago.

Nikon has not changed their mount since 1959. However, many of Nikon's entry-level compact cameras aren't made with an auto focus screw-drive system in them.

Also your SB-28DX is not compatible with Nikon's Creative Lighting System (CLS) but can still be used in manual mode.

If what you now have still does what you need it to do, you don't need to upgrade.

How long do you think is D700's product life cycle before a major improvement comes along? I want to make sure that it keeps its value for awhile, unlike the D1x. Since, my purchase of D1x the technological improvements in the digital technology seems to be exponential.

The rumor is that the D800 (D700 replacement) is due end of the year or begining of next year. However, I'm sure the D700 will be a nice camera for a while, but expect a price drop once the new D800 is released.

You can give it to me! :hug::

Most reactions

Back