What to do with older TPF threads?

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Maybe it's time for TPF to get a discussion going as to old threads, and how they will be handled? There have been some old threads that have been dug up, some two or three times, over the span of five to ten years. I think some of the threads should be left open, if new material is afdded about the original subject.

Five years or more ago, people had the idea that we shold continue to use OLD threads, and NOT create new threads, especially for pictorial theme threads; that has, over the years, lead to threads with in which the first 10,15,20 pages have mostly dead links to old photos that have been deleted, but with the newest photos still "live" on-line. The old attitude was, "Do a search! Do Not create a new thread for this topic!" But since that time, many old-days TPF members have moved on, and there's less emphasis now on doing a search to see if one's question might have already been asked and answered, yet there are people who do a search, and what they get is an old thread, and they reply to that; what's really wrong with that?

So...what to do with older threads when they are revived? Do we post Zombie and Kitten-killer memes, or try to add value? Do we summarily lock old threads, which could possibly be refreshed with new material? What about threads that deal with older methods, or with equipment that once was new, but now is being bought and used by vintage equipment fans, the budget-coinstrained, and young shooter, or people who are just getting into "classic" cameras like the Nikon D40, or the Canon 5D, or the Nikon D300 for example?

Last edited:
I think it has to be a case-by-case basis. If it's one posted by a new member in error, or where a new thread is more appropriate, than we'll split it, lock the old and go from there. If it's one where value can be added, than it should be left ('though there aren't a lot of those, especially if the OP is ten years gone)...

I think it depends on the thread and the resurrecting post. Obviously if the long gone OP wanted to know what camera or lens to get, the thread deserves to rest in the grave. Others, like general information, may have some benefit being poked and appended. As far as the photo themes with missing images, there's really nothing that can be done - such is the nature of a hyperlinked system.

In my efforts to become a kindler, gentler snowbear, I've tried to just point out that a particular thread has been resurrected and often the OP has been absent for many months. Oh, I still have my Zombie Thread Kitty, but plan to use it only in special circumstances. As far as searching vs. just asking a question got the nth time, more often than not I simply chuckle, shake my head and move on.

We've talked about this a couple years ago, search for our recommendations. Lol

Yeah some are really old. But I'll also point ppl back to some old threads because of the discussion, answers and detailed discussion.

So I think it has to be a case by case basis as people will respond to A thread without looking at the posting date.

Don't blame the thread blame the thread necromancer.
That's it! A new profile rank "Necro". New users (under 50 or so posts) are exempt from this title but any other member that revives a thread that should have died long ago shall sport the new title for one week.

Treat a thread and that one will stay dead. Treat a necromancer and they all stay dead.

It's been my observation that noobs are most likely the necros.

I would bet a significant number of those noob necro posts come from people who search a question on google and are lead to the post.

It is a tough question though...things on posing and light or whatever from 5 or 10 years ago are still pertinent. The gear questions from then are probably not.

In all honesty, I'm not sure the number of zombie threads is that much higher nor that significant. I've come very close to adding to pn but have learned to look at the dates before I post.

Yes, some are still significant (the general info, I mentioned).

I say we hide this thread until Christmas, then see how long it takes to be pulled out from under the tree.

IMO, it's a non-issue - the nature of the beast.
A lot of old threads are dug up by spammers and spam bots.

Unless we're running out to storage space for old threads, I say we let it ride and handle it case by case.

But then, I'm a nobody here. So my opinion isn't that important lol

Some great points have been brought up by every single poster!

My response is: I don't care.

Carry on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back