What to do with those old cameras?

Reaction score
Have we every thought of how much camera equipment we accumulate? What about when new technology brings huge advances to our lives like digital photography has?

I found out a few years back that by purchasing my first digital camera it allowed me to eliminate the film and processing cost. Yeah sure, the camera bodies were expensive; my first bodies were over $5000 each, and now better technology can be picked up for under a grand each. And those digital compact flash cards, I paid $250 for a 256mb cards which are being sold for under $25. Wow have things changed. One great positive was I could still use the same lenses that my old film bodies used. That seemed to make it a little better.

Now I needed to figure out what to do with all of my additional equipment. Well as technology has advanced in the camera and photography world, so have the selling resources. We now have a great service called ebay. What a cool concept. People list some old items that they want to get rid of and there is usually a market where someone is willing to pay for your stuff. Ebay has created a very easy way to sell your used camera equipment fast. I know, it is hard to part with your used Hassy with the tack sharp glass for just a fraction of what you paid for it and knowing that the longer you wait, the less you will be able to sell it. Don’t let your closet become the storage place for old relics.

The way I looked at it was I could sell the old film bodies and put that toward my digital bodies.

What were you able to sell at an auction lately?

Andrew
going beyond photography
VirtualPhotographyStudio.com

Andrew,

There are collectors which prize their old(er) film cameras. I am one. :mrgreen:

I'm always buying and selling stuff and had some success in selling older, more collectible cameras. I also bought some Leica and Contax cameras, which I keep in my collection.

That's a passion for me...:mrgreen:

doc_in_bc said:
My daughter collects them ... any kind of camera. Zeiss, box Brownies, Nitzo, Keystone, Pentax ... whatever ... she loves them and still uses most of them. Did you know you can still get 8mm film? That said, I'm not much of a tech type. I have a Horseman L series that I use for all still life and most inside stuff, and an Ebony SV45U2 for the great out of doors ... the former I've had for over 20 years and the latter (a treasure) is a recent toy. So, the supply of camera equipment being turned over is scant. I do have a Pentax PZ1 (have no idea how most of the stuff on it works) and a Canon digital that just doesn't seem to interest me. She might get the Canon although she's a chip of the old block and probably won't make much use of it either.
Cheers
Doug

Hi Doug,

If you or your daughter are interested in more info on older cameras you should visit the Collector's Corner. I have posted there a good amount of info on dating, maintenance and repair of the older cameras. Keep in mind, you can always throw a question at me in that regard, I'll be happy to answer it.

hllo all
i resantly lerned they are going to bring out a digital insert that can be atached into the space that the film nomaly takes up and you will be able to swap it back out for your film
i know hasselblad has a digital back but this one will fit into any film camera
don't now anything else about it

maybe some one else will
ian

ianb said:
i know hasselblad has a digital back but this one will fit into any film camera don't now anything else about it

maybe some one else will
ian

The digital back for the Hassy is an expensive proposition. Around $10 grand or more. It will only fit the Hassy (and possibly the Kiev copy of Hassy).

Most reactions

Back