What to do???

leeroix

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I have another event coming up, and this time the promoter wants to have pictures printed out on site. A few questions, or concerns on my end... before I politely tell him that this is not possible, I wanted to make sure it wasn't. This will be a typical event, similar to this http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/people-photography/317327-party-time.html
He suggested that I print pictures at the event for people. The problem is, that I shoot RAW, and don't lug my computer around to process all the photos. He said he is willing to purchase a printer or another camera or whatever is needed. Im trying to tell him that this style cannot simply be spit out of a camera like a Polaroid. Any advice for me?

Pass on the job? I don't like the "photo-booth" style of work either, but if that's what the dude signing the cheque wants, and it's not what you want...

Wellllllllll, I'd rather not do that as this is opening other doors for me. He doesn't really know how everything works, and thinks it would be simple to do. I guess I just wanted some reassurance that this was in fact a bad idea for this event. Would there be another way to catalogue the photos and deal with it later?

Can you set up a lightroom preset and batch em through that way?

Yeah, thats a possibility. Even with a preset, I still find that some photos still need some tweeking (individually). I guess thats better than nothing.

Wellllllllll, I'd rather not do that as this is opening other doors for me. He doesn't really know how everything works, and thinks it would be simple to do. I guess I just wanted some reassurance that this was in fact a bad idea for this event. Would there be another way to catalogue the photos and deal with it later?

Let's see. Accommodate the client's request, or tell him you are unwilling or unable to handle it. Seems easy.

Yeah, thats a possibility. Even with a preset, I still find that some photos still need some tweeking (individually). I guess thats better than nothing.

If amusement parks can do it with roller coasters, I am sure that you could set something up that would do the deed. If it something that's opening doors for ya, I would go for it, but politely explain that it's not typically how it goes, and then if it works out, you look like a photographer bad ass. If there are some flubs, then he can't say you didn't warn him.

Yep, all good points. Im not shying away from doing it, I just want to do it right. And by that I mean I don't want to compromise the typical product I deliver. Without sounding selfish with my point of view, I wanted to look at all the angles. I appreciate his business, and would like to stand out from other people. I guess what Im coming to grips with is there is no "easy" way to do it, and to do it efficiently it may require more than myself?

Shoot RAW + JPEG and set the camera up "right", so that the images coming off the card look decent. Most any Nikon made since 2007 can do that--easily. Set the camera up right, for printing direct output.

Have you seen the output off of the small EPSON portable printers that print right off of a memory card onto pre-cut paper? The pictures look damned good. Dye sub is much more costly, but prints out faster. You could own four of these small EPSON inkjet printers for a little over $400, including the paper to print 800 or so 4x6 prints.

If you want the gig, adapt. Don't shoot RAW.

If you don't adapt, you can bet your last dollar that he won't be telling others that you couldn't do it because you needed to edit your photos before printing them. Instead, he'll be telling others that you simply couldn't do what he saw as a simple request.

He wants to hire you, and one of the things he wants is for you to be able to print on site. You can either accomodate that, or you can't.

Make the call...

While one could get an eye-fi card and wirelessly transfer the pictures to your laptop as RAW, + post processing, plus printing, that would likely require an extra body to do all the computer work while you keep shooting.

Plan B would be to have an Epson or other ink jet printer (I have Epsons) that take CF and/or SD cards directly. Assuming you are shooting JPGs, you should be able to simply put it in the slot, scroll down on the little screen to the picture you want to print, and print it on whatever size you choose. I've never tried it before. So I don't know if it works that easily or not. I also suspect that whatever card you use will have to have only JPGs on it, not RAW + JPG...just a guess. Hopefully, someone here can confirm all that I've said.

Also, you wouldn't need to be attached to a computer with the printer. But I think you'll still need a helper to do the printing while you're out shooting. You'll also need a handful of smaller size cards to work with, perhaps one per 'family' to give to your helper to print.

Lastly, not having post processing availablilty, you'll have to have the white balance correct in the camera. Hopefully, there's no florescent lights to screw things up WB-wise. Or, 'overpower' the florescent with a flash...

Bottom line, get used to "get it right in the camera" mode of shooting. Digital with post processing has made me very lax in that respect from my film days.

Cool. Thanks everybody:) Im going to look into a printer that accepts the card directly. I totally forgot about setting RAW+jpg. (the RAW shots I could then edit later) For the straight-on people posing shots, it should be good right out of the camera as I dont usually touch those (maybe a better crop) If you look at my link on top, the streaky/nightclub-ish shots I bumped up the blacks and tweeked some other things to pull some detail out of the haze of the lights and movement. -Thats mainly what I was concerned about. Again, thanks for the ideas!

This is probably a dumb idea but, what the hell. I recently saw a photographer who set up a projector to his laptop and was able to project photos of the wedding and after party while at the banquet facility. I know it's not printing but, maybe the event guy is just looking for an instant type of thing for people to be able to see themselves. You could then offer to print all or selected photos at a later time. I don't know if this would be tasteful enough for your event but, it's a thought.

In either case, good luck! :)

Frankly, I see "win" in this. You print the local JPG files and keep your customer happy. You also stamp your coordinates on the back (you do have a stamp, no?) so that those who want "better" images can contact you for followup, and presumably more print sales of a better kind. RAW+Jpg is normal for this kind of thing. Just remember to put the frame number on the back so you know which one it came from. It the paper bleeds though the stamp ink, get preprinted labels, or print a bunch on a laser printer.

Most reactions

Back