What to Go With?

bbrant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I've been seriously thinking about upgrading to a new camera (well, new to me). Currently I have a Canon XTi which works great and I've been pleased with it. For the past 6 months or so, I've been getting more serious about photography and have started doing things like senior pictures, family portraits and weddings as a side business. For weddings the weddings I've done I've been fortunate to have been able to use a flash. With more weddings lined up, I'm sure that luck is going to run out and I'll need to be able to shoot using whatever lighting is available. My concern is that the XTi at 1600 ISO will produce noisy images, hence the upgrade consideration.

I've been considering a used 50D, 60D or possibly a 7D. For all intents and purposes, I'll limit the discussion to the 50D vs. 60D. Which will give me the best image quality at a higher ISO - say around 3200 so I can use for wedding photography in available light? From what I've read, I'm leaning towards the 50D and not for strictly for financial reasons. I would really prefer to upgrade to the 7D. A friend has one and the low-light images are very impressive. Finacially I don't know that I can swing even a used 7D.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

What lenses are you using? This is usually your first port of call. I was using a 350D (XT - the one before yours) a few years ago for indoor 'gig' shooting. I had the ISO around 800 most of the time, but was using a 24-70 f/2.8 L (NO IS) for the whole thing. I got great shots all the time and never really felt that the body was holding me back just the lenses.

I'm fairly confident that the pitch black back room of a bar with a few red lights lighting a stage, is a lot less forthcoming for light than a wedding, or anywhere you'd shoot a portrait.

My concern is that the XTi at 1600 ISO will produce noisy images, hence the upgrade consideration.

Have you actually tried it?

The body can play a part, but it all comes down to the glass! No point considering forking out for a 7D, when your going to use cheap glass.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera. I also have EF 75-300mm zoom.

I have tried indoor shots at 800 and 1600 but have not been pleased with the results. They're either too dark or have motion blur. For dark photos, adjusting them in Photoshop produces an unacceptable amount of noise.

I've never tried a faster lens so, as you suggested, the glass might be what I should concentrate on.

Thanks again for the reply.

Yeah I would definitely advise on a better piece of glass. A longer prime lens may be ok, and you could get something very wide open like f/1.4. But for a little more versatility try the 24-70 L f/2.8. I'm sure is you do some hunting around you;ll find some great reviews! I loved mine!

You could get another body, but if all your doing it putting your current lenses in front of it's sensor, you will most likely get the same results as your getting now. You'll just have a very expensive paper weight. A good piece of glass will improve your pictures straight away, and look at upgrading your body. I stuck with my 350D for many, many years, until I upgraded. Even then I didn't go very far, and went to a 5D MK I. It's not new, and it's not got crazy high ISO, but with some top quality glass in front of it it's ace!

Glass, glass, glass!

EDIT: Just realised that the two lenses you have are the two lenses I started out with for that camera. SNAP! Now if you follow my lead again, you should be buying the 50mm f/1.4 USM, and then the 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM.

I would also recommend going with lenses before a camera. In my limited wedding experience it is the actual ceremony that can be trickiest. I would look at a new or even used Sigma 70-200 f2.8 You'll increase your low light potential and give to the reach to get a shot while being at an unobtrusive distance.

Again, thank you for the replies. I started to take a look at lenses. I guess my next question is, what do think about used vs. new?

I was taking photos of my daughter's basketball game today and tried some shots without the flash. They were dark but not so dark that I couldn't work with the RAW file in Photoshop. Granted they're far from Sports Illustrated quality but for the family album they'll do fine. That was shooting with the zoom lens at 320 on 1600 which leaves me hope that I could pull off wedding shots in existing light. And using a faster, higher quality lens gives me more hope.

I like my 400D. I know it's not top of the line but it's given me images I've been pleased with. It works fine and if putting better glass in front of the sensor will help get more mileage out it then why not.

Thanks again for the help/guidance!

Again, thank you for the replies. I started to take a look at lenses. I guess my next question is, what do think about used vs. new?

I LIKE to get my lenses used. I PREFER to buy lenses used. If one buys from a good dealer, like say KEH.com, used lenses are really a great way to save money. If one can buy at a LOCAL, smaller-market brick and mortar professional-level photography retail store, the prices are often really,really good. Like, say, in Harrisburg, for example...look on-line and see, I think there's a 'serious' photo store in that town. In smaller markets, used equipment retails for less than in big markets like say NYC or LA, or even in Pittsburg.

You need to upgrade your lenses; for indoor, low-light type work, f/2.8 or faster glass, really helps a LOT.

Hello all,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I've been seriously thinking about upgrading to a new camera (well, new to me). Currently I have a Canon XTi which works great and I've been pleased with it. For the past 6 months or so, I've been getting more serious about photography and have started doing things like senior pictures, family portraits and weddings as a side business. For weddings the weddings I've done I've been fortunate to have been able to use a flash. With more weddings lined up, I'm sure that luck is going to run out and I'll need to be able to shoot using whatever lighting is available. My concern is that the XTi at 1600 ISO will produce noisy images, hence the upgrade consideration.

I've been considering a used 50D, 60D or possibly a 7D. For all intents and purposes, I'll limit the discussion to the 50D vs. 60D. Which will give me the best image quality at a higher ISO - say around 3200 so I can use for wedding photography in available light? From what I've read, I'm leaning towards the 50D and not for strictly for financial reasons. I would really prefer to upgrade to the 7D. A friend has one and the low-light images are very impressive. Finacially I don't know that I can swing even a used 7D.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

I just upgraded to the 550D and I'm doing similar photography. I got it for 700 new with a lens. I'm not sure what your budget is. I was going to go the used route like I always do, but figured that for my purposes I need the warranty and assurance that the previous owner didnt sell it cause its gonna die soon lol.

I LIKE to get my lenses used. I PREFER to buy lenses used. If one buys from a good dealer, like say KEH.com, used lenses are really a great way to save money. If one can buy at a LOCAL, smaller-market brick and mortar professional-level photography retail store, the prices are often really,really good. Like, say, in Harrisburg, for example...look on-line and see, I think there's a 'serious' photo store in that town. In smaller markets, used equipment retails for less than in big markets like say NYC or LA, or even in Pittsburg.

You need to upgrade your lenses; for indoor, low-light type work, f/2.8 or faster glass, really helps a LOT.

KEH always has steals that look and perform like new.

Most reactions

Back