What to shoot during cloudy days?

Alter_Ego

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey weather has been pretty bad lately, typical tropical weather.
Any ideas what to shoot? I noticed after it rains in the evening and if the clouds get out by sunset it can create a lovely effect.

Well you can do some macros. The even flat lighting can work out quite well for it.

Days that have a solid overcast are good for shooting portraits, particularly if it's not to windy and you have some off camera strobed lighting and basic modifiers.

I'll tell you what lighting makes me want to pull over and forget where I was originally headed.

Now picture this...

Cloudy morning, OR evening; the clouds are big, puffy, and have separation. The sun breaks out from under the clouds and send a streak of light down to the ground. This is a magic lighting time. This morning the sun came up over the mountains and peaked beneath the clouds and illuminated the green rolling hills that were full of dew.

As morbid as it may sound, a cemetery makes a great thing to photograph on cloudy and dreary days.

I really like cloudy days for taking outdoor photos of the kids. In fact I perfer it over the sunny days by far. I have also got some great photos of frozen frost on trees and plants on cloudy days (making sure to not have the sky in the photo of course).

Any ideas what to shoot? I noticed after it rains in the evening and if the clouds get out by sunset it can create a lovely effect.
Sounds like you may have answered your own question

Or.. You could pick a theme say, lines, water-rain,ice,steam,dew, leaves, angles and play with those. Or pick a focal length...may be the widest you have and view the world with that. See the world upsidedown. Pick a colour photo all red objects. Bottles!! Glasses;);)

Sounds like you may have answered your own question

Or.. You could pick a theme say, lines, water-rain,ice,steam,dew, leaves, angles and play with those. Or pick a focal length...may be the widest you have and view the world with that. See the world upsidedown. Pick a colour photo all red objects. Bottles!! Glasses;);)

Yeah but i dont want to be waiting til sundown only to be disapointed.

Yeah i might go with some water on flowers and insects. Thanks for the tips guys!

Even landscapes can be great in overcast weather. When the sun is shining, you have bright highlights and dark shadows, but when it's overcast, the highlights aren't so bright and the shadows aren't so dark, so you can capture a lot more detail in some scenes. Of course, the sky typically won't look good unless you really underexpose the shot, so look for compositions without too much sky.

http://mikehodson.blogspot.com/2009/09/kananaskis-landscapes.html

Last edited:
I'll tell you what lighting makes me want to pull over and forget where I was originally headed.

Now picture this...

Cloudy morning, OR evening; the clouds are big, puffy, and have separation. The sun breaks out from under the clouds and send a streak of light down to the ground. This is a magic lighting time.
I like those kind of shots, too.

img1880u.jpg

I also like it when clouds have a woolly texture.

editseascape.jpg

Last edited:
It’s hard enough to rise and shine on a sunny day, but dragging yourself out of bed for an early morning photo adventure is even harder when the weather’s not cooperating. Some photographers resist the idea of shooting landscapes under overcast skies because the palette can at first glance appear drab and uninteresting. True, there are differences that come with shooting on a cloudy day instead of a sunny one—but they’re not all bad. How do you know what to shoot on an overcast day? Think about all the things that become more evident—such as two-dimensional patterns rather than 3D textures, or monotone compositions rather than bold and striking colorful ones. The point is there’s plenty to shoot on cloudy days. Head over to PhotoNaturalist for a few more suggestions on subjects that are ideal for cloudy days, then search your favorite photographers’ web sites to try to spot the shots that were done when the weather wasn’t cooperating. Chances are you’ll be impressed on both counts.

Well you can do some macros. The even flat lighting can work out quite well for it.

insects. overcast can be good. and pre-rainshower they become active.

Also, when it is cooler they don't move as much. Geckos, lizards, and snakes are also good when cooler - you can pretty much pose them :)

Most reactions

Back