What to use as subjects for beginner?

jsimpson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I only have a small Canon digital camera and I want to practice a lot before investing in a nicer one and/or taking a class. This is something I really want to get into but I'm not sure where to start. Any advice or tips?

You should take photos of those things that interest you and what you want to concentrate on....

Some like wildlife, some do flowers, and others concentrate on people..

My personal favorite is landscape and I strive to recreate scenes that strike me as faithfully as possible....

Everywhere you look there is a photograph.........:D

You should take photos of those things that interest you and what you want to concentrate on....

Some like wildlife, some do flowers, and others concentrate on people..

Everywhere you look there is a photograph.........:D

+1 :thumbup:

A good place to start is by trying to capture what you see. Emotions, actions, unique point of views, something with a meaning to it.. I mean the list is near endless. It's all in your personal preference really. Find what you love to take pictures of and work at it. Improve on your composition of your images, and find what visually attracts your audience.

Read, read, read. I'll be the first to tell you that i was NOT prepared for my 7D when it came in the mail.. (I'm hands on though, so I wanted it to be that way).. In retrospect I really wish I had known more about exposures, f/stops, and shutter speeds. It really isn't hard, it just takes a little time to get a grip.

I love to say "My camera used to own me, but now I own it." don't let yourself have to say that when you upgrade :p

also keep your camera on you, find the best views around where you live, look at things from different angles, and research, research, research before you buy.

you can also try shooting simple object you have around you house....put them in window light and play with composition. Look at the way the light affects you subject. Use different apertures to play with depth of field. have fun!

dont shoot cats.. I dont want to see another cat thread :)

I started with my point and shoot by taking something completely uninteresting such as a garbage can or something, and tried to turn it into an artsy, interesting photo. It's fun to challenge yourself and you can learn about the basics of lines, angles, exposure and such at the same time.

The question is not what you look at, but what you see." - Henry David Thoreau

Seeing creatively is something anyone can learn.

Book recommendations:
Learning To See Creatively by Bryan Peterson
Understanding Expsoure by Bryan Peterson
The Photographers Eye by Michael Freeman
Picture This by Molly Bang

dont shoot cats.. I dont want to see another cat thread :)

:p

974040795_Sfqxh-L.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I got a bit lucky.

Hahah I was wondering if anybody had remembered that..

What about the omnipresent soda can??? Huh? What about those????

Most reactions

Back