What Tripod? Yes I searched. Need Some More Help

perfect. looks like I'm looking for 3d head. thanks for the advice.

-TAG

One thing you might want to keep in mind about you head choice is where you are going to be taking it and how. I own 4 different heads at this point and am getting ready to order my 5th.

My general field head is a ball head with a ball release knob, separate friction control knob and a panning knob on a set of 3021 legs. I prefer a ball head in the field because it is the smallest and easiest to haul around. No big protrusions sticking out. A good ball head is very easy to use even for things like landscapes. To me a good ball head has a separate friction control knob that allows you to loosen the ball with out getting that dreaded drop. The single knob ball heads can also work that way, but you have to be careful how loose you turn the knob.

I use a 3 way pan/tilt head for things like product shoots and static macro. This is usually studio type stuff or location stuff where I don't have to lug a lot of gear or go far to set up.

For portrait I love my pistol grip ball head. The bogen 322 to be exact. Since I use the arca-swiss style systems I had a machinist friend of mine modify an acra-swiss QR head to fit on the 322. It is the fastest and easiest I have found for shooting portraits and lives on my studio tripod.

Also keep in mind how you plan to grow with this tripod and head. Arca-swiss QR heads and plates are more expensive then the standard systems like bogens RC2, however I would not trust a lens like a 400 f2.8 on an RC2 plate. If you ever plan on getting some bigger glass then you might want to look at one of the Arca-swiss compatable heads from someone like RRS, Kirk, Wimberly etc.

This is one area where a look to the future can save you money in the long run.

ok well the three way and the four way legs are only 3 inches in the difference so I can't see going to the four sections as that much of an advantage. It's also shorter than the three section tripod as well. So I think I'll go with a three section.

As far as heads go this 3D head doesn't have the the long protruding arms that would make it hard to transport. I think I would like the arms just for leveling purposes and making minor adjustments without changing other adjustments already made.

I'm going to go back with everyone's suggestions and my own preferences and see what I find.

-TAG

I have the Mag Fiber 190MF Manfrotto tripod, and have just ordered my third head for it. The 808-RC2 head is great if you have heavy lenses, and have space to bring it with you, but it is bulky due the handles protruding. I also have a ballhead, a 486 Manfrotto, and it is the one that spends the most time on my tripod. I have only found one problem with it, and that is that it is hard to manage a large heavy lens on it. For casual usage it works very well. My 322RC2 pistol ballgrip should be here tomorrow, and I see lots of good reviews for them. I am thinking of getting another set of legs soon as well and will likely get the 3 section 190CXPro as the only feature I am really missing is the swinging center column. Any of the tripods you are looking at will be good ones, look at having an additional ballhead for versatility, they are simple to swap from one head to another.

I have the Mag Fiber 190MF Manfrotto tripod, and have just ordered my third head for it. The 808-RC2 head is great if you have heavy lenses, and have space to bring it with you, but it is bulky due the handles protruding. I also have a ballhead, a 486 Manfrotto, and it is the one that spends the most time on my tripod. I have only found one problem with it, and that is that it is hard to manage a large heavy lens on it. For casual usage it works very well. My 322RC2 pistol ballgrip should be here tomorrow, and I see lots of good reviews for them. I am thinking of getting another set of legs soon as well and will likely get the 3 section 190CXPro as the only feature I am really missing is the swinging center column. Any of the tripods you are looking at will be good ones, look at having an additional ballhead for versatility, they are simple to swap from one head to another.

I love my Gitzo 1377M Magnesium ballhead. It's pricey, but I found it cheap in mint condition on e-bay. It's built like a tank, the tensioners are perfect, and it can hold a big (8kg) lens (if I can afford one someday).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/556262-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__055XPROB_Pro_Tripod_Legs.html

I like the 3 way tilt of this head and the fact that there are no large handles sticking out.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544801-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__055XB_Tripod_with_322RC2.html

If I am to go with a ball head I think I would choose this one, I like the idea of having the handle for ease of movement.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...XPROB_808RC4_055XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

This right now is my favorite, but it's heavy and bulky so I'm not sure what it will be like. Are the handles on them removable or no?

I think it's narrowed down to one of these three options.

-TAG

I'm really liking this one. It's a little heavy but I like the design of it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...XPROB_808RC4_055XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

It's not overly expensive, I think it will be the one I pick up. I really don't like the design of the ball head ones. I may end up changing later on, but for now this looks like the one I'm settling on. Thanks everyone for their help.

-TAG

Now does anyone know where I might find something like this for cheaper, or is this about the best price I'll find. I'm also looking for a little added protection. I didn't search yet but I will once I type this, but do they make a hard case for carrying the tripod around?

There are usually lots of tripods/ball-mounts on e-bay. They don't have much to go wrong with them, making an e-bay purchase less risky. I saved a whopping amount on mine that way.

Just one tip, buy the best you can, otherwise if you just buy a cheap one it's just a deposit on a better one you'll need at a later stage. I waited 3 more paychecks at work and then went and bought a really good one, was worth the 6 weeks wait.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back