what type of camera

Any DSLR can take pictures like that. It all depends on your understanding of exposure and how to manipulate the studio lighting.

Yes, the right question is more -- what kind of lighting setup would you need? While I can't answer it, I can tell you that that's the question you need to ask. :) Specifically, ask about flashes, backgrounds, lightboxes, etc.

You also do need to make sure that your SLR can control off-camera lighting -- which is almost universally true, except that (for example) a Nikon D40 can't remote-control a speedlight.

the lighting alone for shots like that will probably cost about 300 bucks

the lighting alone for shots like that will probably cost about 300 bucks

At the very least. A full set of backdrop, umbrellas, various electrical equipment, transmitter... that's way over $300.

Plus, very few DSLRs go for $300 or less. If you really want to take serious studio photos, you'll need at least the level of a Nikon D90 (or equivalent), which is in the $800-$1000 range.

I would say at this point, if I were you I would just go and use a photographer's studio and have him do the shooting also, cause then you don't even have to worry about it

ok thanks, but what would be the best camera I can get to take that type of picture at 300 and under or are they all really expensive? I would like to learn about the lighting also but would like to get the camera I need first

You can do studio photography on a budget, but it's still going to be a bit above your budget.

And, even if you had all the required equipment, you mentioned the number one key word.....LEARN. If shots like those were achievable just by buying the equipment and shooting, photography wouldn't be a profession. It takes most professionals years to learn their craft.

Should be noted that those shots are not particularly special. They won't need huge expense to do successfully BUT as stated above will need well over your budget.

Even a simple setup of a couple of strobes, DLSR, decent lens, stands etc. will run to the better part of $1000.

ok I think I will go with a nikon d40 they are 450 on walmart, I seen one refurbished on ebay for 280 but thats not an option right? and as far as lighting what will I need exactly as I will try to buy them a couple items at the time, thanks in advance

I think you may need to go read up on studio lighting and equipment -- forums are not always the best place to start. I'd google around and learn a lot more before you start buying things -- you don't want to spend money on something you don't need, or which isn't right for you.

ok I think I will go with a nikon d40 they are 450 on walmart, I seen one refurbished on ebay for 280 but thats not an option right? and as far as lighting what will I need exactly as I will try to buy them a couple items at the time, thanks in advance

If you don't even know what camera and lighting you need how do you expect to get the results you need, if the product is not shot properly it will no sell well

ok- first we will need to know what you are going to take pictures of or what you are going to sell on your site. The set up you would need to take pictures of watches is completely different than what you would need to take pictures of cars.

So i am going to assume it's smaller things. If that is the case you can do it with a good Tripod/Camera/2-3 flashes with Gels/diffuser/some white foam board.

You can make it work with a point and shoot and a light box:
Homemade Light Box for Product Photography » StudioLighting.net

or here is a more professional DIY :
Product Photography

If you really have a good understanding of light like mentioned in previous post then you can do it with a p&s and some basic lights. Or spend the 1500ish on a D80/speedlights/tripod and get the Nikon CLS video and let your camera work on the lighting for you :mrgreen:

thanks for all the info, I will be selling clothing, at first I might get the photos professionally done but i want to slowly get into taking the pictures myself and that is why i am trying to figure out what I am going to need, again thanks for the info everyone

Most reactions

Back