What type of film should I use?

Jerold Cuico

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’ve a photography aficionado and have recently ventured into film photography. I’m using the Canon AE-1 camera, which I’m planning to take with me on my Ukraine ski trip. Any advice on what type of film I should get? I’m going to buy the film online, so there won’t be a problem with its availability. I appreciate any photography tips for shooting outdoors in a winter setting as well!

What do you intend to do with the results?

Don;t forget to adjust the exposure to allow in 1-1/2 more stops if there's lots of snow around. Otherwise you photos will come out too dark.

I would get Portra 400 for color and 400TX (TriX) for B & W. If you want slower film Portra 160 for color and Ilford FP4 125 for B & W. That's what I would do but that's me.

For me I'd shoot Fuji 400 color print film and BW I'd shoot Delta 400.

Depends on what you are looking for and what your shooting conditions will be. Broadly speaking my go to films are

B&W: Ilford Delta 100 or 400, I use mostly the 100 speed. Both are all around decent stocks. I have used plenty of FP4 125ISO and HP5 400ISO and like those as well but the delta has been my go to lately.

Color: Fuji Velvia 50, or Ecktar 100, leaning mostly to the Velvia 50 these days but you need to be spot on with the metering.

I'd follow jcdeboever's advice. Those are the combinations I'd use with a camera like the AE-1. Portra is really, really good stuff. And Tri-X and Ilford FP4 are really hard to beat. Pay attention to Alan's advice regarding snow. Remember any camera's meter attempts to meter a scene as 18% gray. Not good for snow scenes. Either open up as Alan recommends, or meter off the blue sky and set your camera accordingly.https://www.thephotoforum.com/members/jcdeboever.209470/

Most reactions

Back