What type of film to use?

jschultz2353

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm not new to photography but new to film photography. My dad got me a bunch of film cameras a few years ago for really cheap at an estate sale and I finally got around to taking them to my local camera shop a few months ago to find out if any of them worked, however now I completely forget what type of film the guy told me to buy. The one I want to get film for is an Agfa Super Solina. I know he said to get 35mm and that I could find it on ebay but I really know absolutely nothing about film. Can anyone tell me more specifically what type to buy, what brand, etc?

At first, I'd just get a roll of low-cost B&W like Kodak Tri-X or Ilford HP5 (ASA or ISO 400) and run it through the camera to see how well it works. Older cameras may use batteries that are no longer available, replacement batteries may not have right voltage, there may be light leaks, etc.

I just got a Brownie Hawkeye (made 1949 to 1961) and I just grabbed three rolls of Ilford HP5. If it works decently, I'll pick up some color film for it.

There is colour or black and white film.
Negative film is most common and used for making prints
Positive film (slide) used for projection.

film brands ... there are not too many left, though you can still get expired stuff on eBay ... so I really do not think you should care.

film speed, ISO ... commonly 100 to 400 ISO/ASA

You should make sure you can find someone to develop and print the film type before buying.

Roll Film | B&H Photo Video

All the film you could want and its new. I like Kodak over Fuji but shoot Ilford in 4x5 sheet film.

Portra, Ektar, Tri-x and Delta 100 are the typical films I shoot unless someone happens to give me some expired film for free.

After thoroughly checking out the cameras operation, and making sure that the shutter fires properly it's time to get some film. These days probably the most easy to get developed film will be color print film (AKA color negative film).

if you live in a dark climate get a 400 speed film, and if you live in a bright climate or are going to be in bright light, then 200 ISO film is fine.

Color print film will be easier and less expensive to have developed and printed than any black and white film. These days black and white film means custom work and custom prices. There are still a few supermarket and Pharmacy drop off Labs that offer inexpensive and fairly quick color print film development and printing. In modern parlance a film that ends in -color such as Kodacolor 400 or Fuji color means print film. Color films ending in -chrome, like Ektachrome or Fujichrome mean color slide film-- stay away from those, since they require spot-on light metering and spot on camera settings. Have fun!

Most reactions

Back