What type of lighting kit do I need?

thomasmain44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am using a digital Rebel XT and would like to get some type of lighting kit and have no idea what type of lighting would best suit my camera and needs. I am a beginner but have run into some lighting needs for some portrait photography and would like to know where to begin. Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Do you know what kind of price range your looking at? Alot of us will recommend Alien Bees.

Digital Matt said:
What are your needs? Portrait photography doesn't really narrow it down much :p
i agree. When beginning I think it is very valuable to learn how to shoot with natural light (and maybe reflectors) first. Learning how to find the right light is very important, and can help in the long run when you want to create it. I honestly wouldn't recommend any lighting systems to beginners, as it can cause them to get lazy and rely on a certain type of lighting over and over (typically seamless white background type lighting). But that can vary from person to person.

I am trying to take some portraits of a model in an in door setting and seem to not have enough light and the pictures result in shadows that take away from the pictures.
My price range is upto about $750 but would like to get some type of lighting for as cheap as possible.
Also if someone could recommend where I might find some inexpensive backdrop type of sheeting/cloth I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

If you are going to get strobes, then you'll need a flash meter. It sounds like you are trying to buy all of this, just for one shot? Move the model next to a window. Window light is the best light you'll find, and it's free.

If you click the link to Adorama at the top of the page, you'll find lots of backgrounds and stands.

Fellows thanks for the help. I will try to move outdoors as this will be the best solution for me. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Most reactions

Back