What type of printer paper

250Gimp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone!!

I haven't been posting much in a while, life and all that gets in the way, but I have been lurking a bit.

I received a new printer at christmas and I have a question:

What type of paper finish do you use for certain situations? I don't know when to use gloss vs semi-gloss or matte.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Paper is expensive, so I don't want to buy to much of the wrong one.

Also, what is your favorite type/brand of paper.

Thanks
CP

Hi everyone!!

I haven't been posting much in a while, life and all that gets in the way, but I have been lurking a bit.

I received a new printer at christmas and I have a question:

What type of paper finish do you use for certain situations? I don't know when to use gloss vs semi-gloss or matte.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Paper is expensive, so I don't want to buy to much of the wrong one.

Also, what is your favorite type/brand of paper.

Thanks
CP

Make sure when printing you use the correct profiles. My favourite paper is Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl. A nice lustre finish that looks very professional. There is no right answer to what is best. We each have only personal preference.

I downloaded the appropriate printer/paper profile from the Ilford web site.

I like epson paper, but only because ive only used that and hp paper (yuck). Anyhoo, honestly it really is just personal preference, however I can say that I do tend to prefer a semi-gloss or high gloss for portraits, and more of a matte for landscapes and such. Thats just my opinion though.

Edit: Also, if you go to a good supplier of paper, they should have some really small packages of photo paper, like 10 or 20 sheets for pretty cheap, you could just try a couple different kinds and see which one you prefer. That way with the small amount its not really a waste of that much money.

Well I have been using the Kodak Ultima Satin but, that is because we only really have Staples and, Best Buy as suppliers here. It works for what I am doing now.

Yup, it's a personal preference and you may find that some look or work better for you and your printer. It is fairly important that you have the right drivers though...so that you can choose the right paper type in your printer set up.

I've found that I get good results with Canon paper with a Canon printer (go figure :er: ). I've tried cheap (staples or no-name paper) and it was terrible.

As for the finish of the paper, that's up to you as well. I personally like a Matte, especially if it will be framed (behind glass). Glossy prints can be really nice when viewed in hand...so I have some 4x6 glossy paper.

There are some really great papers out there...some of them are crazy expensive but that's how it goes.

Thanks a lot for all your input everyone!!! I really apreciate it!

I have some Epson paper right now, seeing as I got an epson printer. I guess I will bite the bullit and experiment with different kinds.

Eos JD: I have heard good things about the Ilford papers, so I think I will try them as well as the Epson, as well as some other papers, as seems to be the best idea.

Big Mike: I like your idea of glossy for small prints, and matte for behind glass.

I also am aware of downloading the correct profile for the specific paper I use.

Cheers!! :D

My favourite paper is Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl. A nice lustre finish that looks very professional. There is no right answer to what is best. We each have only personal preference.

I second the Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl.

or

Epson Enhanced Matte.

I do agree with that about the small prints for glossy, I printed a couple 4 by 6 with glossy and it looked great but i like the matte i have behind glass.

If you have a pigment ink printer and you are looking at the Ilford papers, make sure you get the smooth papers. They also do classic papers but these are more suited to dye inks.

Smooth Pearl & Smooth Gloss are the ones I've used although I much prefer the lustre finish of the Pearl

It all depends on what printer you have. With Epson Pro and Prosumer printers you need to use the epson premium stuff, which isn't cheap. There are some third-party papers, but I always use epson. I am also using ultrachrome inks, much better than dye inks. I use enhanced matte a lot, but I also use the premium luster. It depends on the purpose of the final output. I have some of the canvas and fine-art papers, and they are phenominal, but expensive.

I have the Epson R800 with Ultra Chrome Hi-Gloss pigment ink. Does this mean I am free to use any type of paper? I have the Epson Premium Gloss & Semi gloss papers, but would like to try the Ilford.

Cheers

R800 uses pigment inks so some papers are not suitable - like the Ilford Classic papers.

Pigment ink printers are generally better than dye ink printers particularly for archival properties.

It all depends on what printer you have. With Epson Pro and Prosumer printers you need to use the epson premium stuff, which isn't cheap. There are some third-party papers, but I always use epson. I am also using ultrachrome inks, much better than dye inks. I use enhanced matte a lot, but I also use the premium luster. It depends on the purpose of the final output. I have some of the canvas and fine-art papers, and they are phenominal, but expensive.

With the right profiles many papers work well with the Epson Ultrachrome inks.

I have the R2400 (K3 inkset) and that Ilford smooth pearl is top quality - and a lot cheaper than the epson papers.

Most reactions

Back