WHAT WENT WRONG WITH THESE PHOTOS--FOR ADVICE PLEASE

jkzo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have taken these photos with d3100, tamron 17-50 f 2.8.
the photo #1 taken in manual mode by with aperture at f/11 the metering for exposure is in spot mode and after focussing the shutter speed was set at 1/8 for correct exposure

DSC_0059 by jkzo, on Flickr

#2 taken in manual mode by slecting aperture at f/11 the metering for exposure is in spot mode and after focussing, the shutter speed was set at 1/25 for correct exposure

DSC_0055 by jkzo, on Flickr

please advise why even after selecting correct shutter speed in manual mode for correct exposure the photos are blown out

Why f11 and and low shutter speed during day light for something relatively close? Also, did you watch the meter inside your camera?

Edit: Also since you were using spot metering, do you meter the person's face or something else?

What did you aim the spot at?

Does the D3100 have an AEB function?

The spot meter read the back of the tent and made it a midtone..that's what meters do. Except in that scene they should have been a shadow.

Spot metering was inappropriate for that scene and conditions

Are these SOOC? You're not correctly exposed, which is why its blown out. And your ss is really slow, did you use a tripod? What are you using to meter?

Actually, looking closer your background in your first one has a good exposure, which would explain why the man in the sun is blown out, and the kid in the second one is only slightly overexposed. You should always expose for the light and post process the dark :)

The issue is..... the 'correctly' exposed frame is 1/8 sec..... the 'overexposed' frame is 1/20. About 1-1/3 EV difference........ in the 'wrong' direction.

There's about two minutes difference between the frames.... maybe the sun was dancing in & out of the clouds. The second image has the sun to the OPs back, while the first one on cannot tell.... maybe the environment itself affected the light.

Spot metering was inappropriate for that scene and conditions

I think it's more or less the photographer metered the wrong spot... :D

there is no such thing as the wrong situation, and there is no such thing as the wrong spot. Yet, these images are too bright, and the second over exposed. This is not because the situation was ill-suited or that the spot was not correct - but rather because the exposure chosen was incorrect for the spot.

Instead of searching for middle grey, adjust exposure to match the way the scene should render. In the case of #2, you could meter off the boy's shirt and stop down twice or so.

there is no such thing as the wrong situation, and there is no such thing as the wrong spot. Yet, these images are too bright, and the second over exposed. This is not because the situation was ill-suited or that the spot was not correct - but rather because the exposure chosen was incorrect for the spot.

My noob self disagree. I think he got the exposure correct for the spot well that is if he did zero out the meter on that spot. :D I think it's hard to judge how many stops to drop especially when you're new so it's easier for me to pick something neutral within the scene.

My noob self disagree. I think he got the exposure correct for the spot.

Well, it's placed at Zone V anyway...

I really don't like the idea of "correct exposure" for this exact reason.

These shots are the exact reason that Spot metering is so dangerous for so many shooters; they pop the camera into Spot, shoot a scene, then forget about it. If they shoot in Auto modes mostly, and do not review their pics immediately after each shot, they can go along shooting in Spot meter mode and blow exposures one after another. I've seen it happen. Hell, I DID IT one time!!

6740838267_32165063e5_b.jpg

While the image is nothing spectacular - this is what I am talking about. Here I chose to meter the wall just adjacent to the lamp, and then provided +3ev compensation to place this region at Zone VIII (see Zone System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The meter at null read 1/20s at f:16, knowing that this would render this region too dark, I exposed three time values longer at 1/3s.

So yes shnookums. You can use spot metering in any situation, it's just a matter of understanding zone placement.

Last edited:
The issue is..... the 'correctly' exposed frame is 1/8 sec..... the 'overexposed' frame is 1/20. About 1-1/3 EV difference........ in the 'wrong' direction.

There's about two minutes difference between the frames.... maybe the sun was dancing in & out of the clouds. The second image has the sun to the OPs back, while the first one on cannot tell.... maybe the environment itself affected the light.

as you said sparky, the 2nd one which i shot first was facing the sun and the first one is quite opposite direction but in shade

Most reactions

New Topics

Back