what wide-ang lens for cropped frame cam?

Reaction score
I'd appreciate some advice. I have a Canon T1i and a 50mm 1.8 lens. With my cropped sensor the lens is more telephoto than wide angle, which is great for portraits, but I'm about to do some traveling and need a wide angle lens.
Unfortunately I really don't have much budget to work with - the best I could do would be under $200. I've enjoyed the inexpensive "nifty fifty" but is there any wide-angle equivalent other than the 18-55mm kit lens? Thanks!

How wide angle do you want to go?

There's a 15-85mm but it's EF-S so it only works on crop sensors.

There is also the 17-50mm. It's also EF-S but it does have an f-stop of 2.8

Sigma and Tamron both make cheaper versions of the 17-50mm.

I do not think you can find a lens significantly wider nor better than the kit lens for under $200. If I were you, I will stay with the kit lens for now,

The best you'll get for a cropped sensor at the price you listed is the 18-55mm kit lens. Good news is that you can find them used for less than $100. Sigma makes a 10-22mm that I use and love, but you can expect to pay at least $300 for a used one.

Agreed. There really aren't any options unless you are willing to go full manual focus. Take a look around for some used Rokinon glass. You may be able to find something close to 200 dollars in the ultra-wide angle variety. As another poster asked though, how wide are you wanting to go?

Your options also grow significantly if you can manage to bump up to 300 dollars as you could then start looking at the Canon 28mm 1.8 or the Canon 35 f2 which are both excellent lenses for the price range.

Is there a reason you're opposed to the 18-55 kit lens?

Optically, it's actually a pretty good lens. It's down-sides are that it doesn't have the fast USM focusing motor, it doesn't have internal focusing (so the it rotates as you focus which means if you use a circular polarizer you'd constantly be re-tweaking the polarization after focusing), and it has a common f/3.5-5.6 variable focal ratio. But optically, it's pretty solid -- ESPECIALLY for the price.

We could list off a half-dozen lenses that would be better, but they wouldn't be in your price range.

RENT the Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens for your vacation. It will give you an idea of what a UWA will do on your camera.

If, after the vacation, you find you can't live without one, start saving your $$$ and get it or the almost-as-good Tammy.

Most reactions

Back