What wildlife lens

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a d7200 on order (for ages with a problem being shipped but that's a different story). I have used a few longer lenses but went shooting yesterday with a borrowed lens. Anyway my next purchase is a good zoom lens. I don't want the prime restrictions.

If you had 12oo dollars/1100 euros/800 pounds to spend on a good lens for the nikon system, what would you go with, Thanks

Tamron 150-600 or Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, one of those two for that amount of money.

If the quality IQ is the same I would go for the Sigma, because of the dock. Think it's a nice idea if you have to do a firmware upgrade at sometime. Especially having a very new camera, that might not be optimally paired to the lenses yet.

Toss a Coin between the two mentioned. The Sigma does have the dock available not included thats around $60.oo. The dock allows setting adjustments and firmware updates if that ever becomes necessary.Only if either one would make one in K mount I would get one in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Thanks all. These 2 were pretty much what I was thinking. I'll decide between these 2 handy enough. I just asked in case there was something else I should have been looking at. Cheers

I got to choose between the Tamron 150-600 and the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary. They are very similar. Copy variation will probably come down to your choice, if you can compare two side by side (whichever is a better copy variant). I did find after handling the lenses in store, the Sigma feels a little nicer (in my opinion), and I've found the focus to be extremely good.

From what I've heard from reviews: The Sigma 150-600 Contemporary will perform as good or just slightly (like a very minor margin kind of slightly) worse than the Tamron 150-600 at 600mm. It performs better at all other focal lengths (I'm not sure how much better). I've heard stories going other ways though, from reviewers who switched from Tamron to Sigma (contemporary), saying the Sigma is just sharper all around. I don't know what that says, maybe nothing, since you could find negative reviews on either. The Sigma may focus more consistently as well, particularly at the long end. The Sigma can be customized in the computer, and the vibration control can be customized in the computer as well (it's not really amazing customization options though, but you can customize the lens to only focus at say... 20 meters and beyond, with custom settings in the computer, instead of just the 10 meter+ switch on the lens).

My personal opinion is that the Sigma Contemporary is the more satisfying buy. I could've gotten the Tamron and I did not. I'm sure you could justify the purchase any which way though, both seem to be good buys.

Here's a link to some reviews / etc. Some compare the Tamron with the Sigma Contemporary: Sigma 150-600mm f 5-6.3 Contemporary Reviews and Comparisons

Most reactions

New Topics

Back