What would be a full-frame higher-end camera as an alternative to Canon Rebel?

dreamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Preferably used or few years old so the price has come down.

The Canon Rebel T7 is adequate for landscape photography. Image quality pales in comparison to full-frame or higher-end APS-C cameras, but it's still very solid for its class. Though its dynamic range is unremarkable, you can still get great landscape shots out of it, especially with good lighting conditions. The camera itself is also fairly comfortable to use, with simple controls that are tailored towards beginner photographers, though more advanced shooters may find the lack of command dials limiting. It also feels quite cheaply made and isn't weather-sealed. Canon EOS Rebel T7 / EOS 2000D Review

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
As noted by @cgw , you need to do some research on your own first.........then come back with specific questions. Photography is a journey of learning that you gain by doing.

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm not going to push you to the wolves.

5D 1Ds, 1D, 1DN MkII, (1D series is actually APS H which is about 35% smaller than full frame.) 6D, etc.

But defiantly research them.

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm not going to push you to the wolves.

Really? And how are these suggestions better than Nikon, Pentax, Sony or Fuji? Do you believe the OP can use those recommendations to make an informed decision or will just blindly buy something? The OP is jumping from a review of a low end APS-C to a full frame, why? Does he have a reason, or would a higher end crop frame better serve his purposes. He's talking about cheaper alternatives, does he realize that full frame glass tends to be more expensive and have less availability on the secondary market?

The Dunning-Kruger effect, is a scenario where those who are extremely ignorant in a field become over confident of their judgments in that field simply because they don’t know enough to see what all is involved. Experts in a field tend to be more cautious, since experts are aware of the fact that there are generally a number of factors involved in the decision. The affliction is due to lack of knowledge, not lack of intelligence. Even intelligent people can fall into the Dunning-Kruger effect when they start making judgments in areas in which they lack knowledge.

Just about all new to photography fall into this trap, buying equipment only to find out later it doesn't suit their needs. Asking generic brand/model preference questions without basic knowledge of your wants and needs isn't productive. I suggested the OP first do some research on the subject so they would be able to ask specific questions to guide them.

Last edited:

ac12

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
WHAT are you going to use it for?
WHAT are your issues?

IMHO, reviewers are often more of a problem than help.
The T7 is more capable than what many people need.

Better gear won't automatically give you better pictures. That comes from the few inches behind the camera.

cgw

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? And how are these suggestions better than Nikon, Pentax, Sony or Fuji? Do you believe the OP can use those recommendations to make an informed decision or will just blindly buy something? The OP is jumping from a review of a low end APS-C to a full frame, why? Does he have a reason, or would a higher end crop frame better serve his purposes. He's talking about cheaper alternatives, does he realize that full frame glass tends to be more expensive and have less availability on the secondary market?

The Dunning-Kruger effect, is a scenario where those who are extremely ignorant in a field become over confident of their judgments in that field simply because they don’t know enough to see what all is involved. Experts in a field tend to be more cautious, since experts are aware of the fact that there are generally a number of factors involved in the decision. The affliction is due to lack of knowledge, not lack of intelligence. Even intelligent people can fall into the Dunning-Kruger effect when they start making judgments in areas in which they lack knowledge.

Just about all new to photography fall into this trap, buying equipment only to find out later it doesn't suit their needs. Asking generic brand/model preference questions without basic knowledge of your wants and needs isn't productive. I suggested the OP first do some research on the subject so they would be able to ask specific questions to guide them.
Amen. Sometimes the wolves deserve a snack, right? I just don't dig this site--or any other bank of experience and knowledge--being used like a coin-op vending machine. More so when it sometimes gets kicked if it doesn't deliver what the poster wanted.

sleist

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey OP - You be trolling us maybe?

Has OP responded to any replies? I don't think I've seen a reply, but maybe I missed it.

Edit - saw one reply. Credit where credit is due ...

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit

Has OP responded to any replies? I don't think I've seen a reply, but maybe I missed it.

I've wonder about the lack of follow-up. Of the 12 posts he's made I think I counted two that he's checked back in on. In scrolling through those post I'm not sure the OP even has a camera of any model at this point.

I've never encountered anyone on here who's unwilling to help, but as I said earlier, knowledge requires participation on the part of the one seeking it.

Last edited:

RAZKY

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
dreamera's only participation in this thread so far is the original post.

ac12

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Preferably used or few years old so the price has come down.

If you only have $500 for camera + lens, as you said in another post, forget FF.
FF gets EXPENSIVE fast.
And if you get CHEAP FF, you might as well stay with APS-C.

Most reactions

New Topics