What would be a good lightweight used camera (including lens) to buy under $500

dreamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I supposed cameras become more affordable after a couple of years, so it would be best to buy used.

PhotoHobbyist

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you get a point and shoot buy new as they have advanced alot and relatively cheap.

If you want a DSLR buy used; Canon SL2 or T5i body, Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 lens, Canon 55-250mm STM lens

I'm sure others with more experience may have better choices, but this is what I know.

RAZKY

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I supposed cameras become more affordable after a couple of years, so it would be best to buy used.
What is your subject matter, and what is the end use of your images?

Strodav

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's a good video to watch given your budget:

You are going to want to buy a used dslr and a good place to do that is at KEH.com, which has a fair grading system, return policy, and a warranty. One of the best cameras I have owned and still use today is Nikon's D7200 (24mp, aps-c sensor size) with 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Image quality is stellar. Keh has the camera for $426 and lens for $162, both in excellent condition. Just a bit over your budget, but worth the money.

OP
D

dreamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is your subject matter, and what is the end use of your images?
I would like to record my daily life, also eventually I would like to make high-quality videos for YouTube. Maybe I need both compact (for carrying everywhere) and non-compact (for special occasions like travelling).
If you get a point and shoot buy new as they have advanced alot and relatively cheap.

If you want a DSLR buy used; Canon SL2 or T5i body, Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 lens, Canon 55-250mm STM lens

I'm sure others with more experience may have better choices, but this is what I know.
This is a no-name brand 48 mp compact camera selling for about $67. https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Bofypoo-Autofocus-Vlogging-Beginners/dp/B0BK9BSQ1G/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=point+shoot&qid=1672123538&s=electronics&sr=1-18&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&th=1

Another camera, a 16 mp Samsung WB350F from 2014 (I think), is selling for about the same price on eBay. I noticed that this camera got a glowing review in 2021 under the comment section for a recent Canon compact camera on Amazon (the reviewer said it's better than Canon):

An excellent camera to have is the Samsung WB850F. The only reason I'm not using it is because the clone batteries they are making aren't strong. The color was absolutely magnificent and the shutter speed was relatively fast and the zoom was unbelievable. I've compared its picture taking abilities to some of the monstrosities Canon makes. Their photographers had to fumble with all kinds of lenses to do what the Samsung could do. My husband and I would laugh at Canons because they are expensive and really aren't that good. This one takes a while to focus. It's as thought it's trying to make a decision if it wants to or not. The speed of the shot is more than lethargic and the color of its pictures is average. It's menu is even more simple having less options. A blah but convenient camera.

But seeing as it is 8 years old, would you say a no-name 48 mp that came out this year is going to be better than the Samsung?

This Motorola Stylus with 48 mp camera (Amazon.com: Tracfone Motorola moto g Stylus, 128GB, Blue - Prepaid Smartphone (Locked) : Cell Phones & Accessories) is selling for about $100. But when I saw a video taken in 4k by this phone, while small writings are sharp, the face doesn't look sharp like one would expect out of a ton of megapixels. It looks cartoonish like a phone camera:
Would you guys agree?
Would this mean that this Motorola's camera falls far short from iPhone 14 pro's despite having the same megapixels?

Last edited:

PhotoHobbyist

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
It sounds like a point and shoot would work for you. I used one exclusively for many years. I still use one for bird watching and hiking. I use a Canon SX720 with 40X optical zoom that will fit in my shirt pocket. That said, I wish I had taken the time to learn about quality DSLR cameras years ago so that my pic collection was sharper and higher quality. You can't go back in time. If you go the DSLR route, Christopher Frost on Youtube is a fantastic resource for finding quality lenses out of the massive number out there. Picking a good lens is critical since there are many mediocre models out there. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
forgive me for sounding a bit blunt.

but first and foremost dont go the off brand stuff from China that is sold on Alazonie.

KEH as mentioned is the best route, and looking into a mirrorless as per a previous post,. a Nikon 1 or Canon EOS M50 would do the trick.

Ozzie_Traveller

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
G'day dreamer

I would add to Soocom's comments too "forgive me for sounding a bit blunt. "

Video stuff at "4k" image quality equals 8 megapixels in single-photo mode, so anything above this is deleted from the original image. So whatever happens, 20 or 30mpx is wasted and 48 mpx is a nonsense

You mention "Maybe I need both compact (for carrying everywhere) and non-compact (for special occasions like travelling)." ... and from this I would select the "compact (for carrying everywhere)" option and stick with that

While a dSLR 'might' provide you with damn good still photo quality pictures (presuming you print them for your lounge room wall), carrying a heavy camera plus extra lenses while travelling soon becomes a nuisance

Speaking personally, we live and travel Australia for about 8 months each year, so size & weight are critical as the vehicle has only so much storage space. We exclusively use compact / bridge cameras (Panasonic as it happens) and from this we have no need or desire to use dSLRs. They are just too large and too heavy and too cumbersome

Hope this helps
Phil

Rickbb

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
From what you describe, I would recommend as high end a powershot from Cannon that your budget will afford.

dunfly

Reaction score
I used a Nikon D5300 with a 18-140 mm lens for my travel setup for a long time. Very good sensor and good features including an articulating screen. Should fit your budget. I also have the D7200 which is slightly better but not lightweight. My current travel setup is an Olympus EM-5 MK 3 with a 14-150 lens but I doubt you would find it for $500.

ac12

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nothing right now. Just use your D40.
Then as you learn what it does and does not do, you will be in a better position to select your next camera.
Because, anything we say will be biased by our own PoV, which may not match yours.

Bobby Ironsights

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I have a T5i and have used it for almost a decade and quite like it. I think it's worth the upgrade over the T5 because I use the swivel screen all the time. I also have the canon 55-250mm and love the image stabilization feature

OP
D

dreamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Another camera, a 16 mp Samsung WB350F from 2014 (I think), is selling for about the same price on eBay. I noticed that this camera got a glowing review in 2021 under the comment section for a recent Canon compact camera on Amazon (the reviewer said it's better than Canon):

"An excellent camera to have is the Samsung WB850F. The only reason I'm not using it is because the clone batteries they are making aren't strong. The color was absolutely magnificent and the shutter speed was relatively fast and the zoom was unbelievable. I've compared its picture taking abilities to some of the monstrosities Canon makes. Their photographers had to fumble with all kinds of lenses to do what the Samsung could do. My husband and I would laugh at Canons because they are expensive and really aren't that good. This one takes a while to focus. It's as thought it's trying to make a decision if it wants to or not. The speed of the shot is more than lethargic and the color of its pictures is average. It's menu is even more simple having less options. A blah but convenient camera."
i forgot to add the link to the Amazon review praising the Samsung compact over the Canon compact. Here it is: Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Canon Cameras US Point and Shoot Digital Camera with 3.0" LCD, Black (2955C001)

Do you think the reviewer is right in her assessment of Canon cameras? Would this be a problem peculiar to the Canon Powershot sx740 HS, or other Powershot models as well?

btw, i noticed that the weight of the WB350F she highly praises is 276 g. [I realized that it was actually 850 not 350, and weighs 250 g not 276 g, and has a Schneider Kreuznach lens.] That seems pretty heavy to be carrying it in one's pocket, which means it would have to be carried in something like a cross bag, sling bag for it to be in easy reach. But that would cause uneven weight on your body and could bend the spine a little over time. There's a slightly less better Samsung compact (WB35F) that is 82 g lighter at 192 g. Looks like the advantage of WB350F over WB35F is better zooming (21x vs 12x) and being faster.

To me the whole purpose of compact is to be light as possible so that you can carry it in your pocket. Even 192g seems a bit on the heavier side to me. I see that an older Canon compact, Canon Powershot A3300 is about 150g which seems more reasonable.

Last edited:
OP
D

dreamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
G'day dreamer

I would add to Soocom's comments too "forgive me for sounding a bit blunt. "

Video stuff at "4k" image quality equals 8 megapixels in single-photo mode, so anything above this is deleted from the original image. So whatever happens, 20 or 30mpx is wasted and 48 mpx is a nonsense

You mention "Maybe I need both compact (for carrying everywhere) and non-compact (for special occasions like travelling)." ... and from this I would select the "compact (for carrying everywhere)" option and stick with that

While a dSLR 'might' provide you with damn good still photo quality pictures (presuming you print them for your lounge room wall), carrying a heavy camera plus extra lenses while travelling soon becomes a nuisance

Speaking personally, we live and travel Australia for about 8 months each year, so size & weight are critical as the vehicle has only so much storage space. We exclusively use compact / bridge cameras (Panasonic as it happens) and from this we have no need or desire to use dSLRs. They are just too large and too heavy and too cumbersome

Hope this helps
Phil
Which model of Panasonics do you use?

Ozzie_Traveller

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Which model of Panasonics do you use?
G'day mate

I use the FZ-300 as an everyday walk-around job and the FZ-2500 for magazine and 'serious' work

However if you want something 'small enough to fit into a pocket' pop into DP Review and look at the Panny TZ range ... each has an eyepiece as well as LCD screen, something that many small compact-camera competitors do not have

Phil

Most reactions

New Topics